Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NikkiLondon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Dots in Eyes
    For about 10 years now I have been suffering from some sort of eye condition- it is there all day from when I wake until I go to sleep of a night even when I close my eyes I can see it - the only way I can describe it is like the dots you get when you turn on a TV/computer - has anyone anything similar? This is beginning to ruin my life and need to know if there is anyone else with the same condition?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 03:54 AM
    The dot or dots are called floaters and appear when the eye loses its natural lubrication. It can happen at any age. I have them as well, my optometrist knows, my doctor has them and acquired them at a very young age. I have quite a few of them and they cease to bother me and I hardly notice them now.

Don't let them 'riun your life'. There is nothing you can do about them, so live with it.
    NikkiLondon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Thank you for your answer - but do you suffer from the all day everyday?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 01:56 AM
    Tickle is right.

Carpe Diem.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 12, 2008, 02:02 AM
    See, I was going to say 'floaters' too, but I wouldn't describe them in the same way as the OP does and I certainly can't see mine when I close my eyes!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 02:24 AM
    According to my optometrist, the number of floaters that a person has will vary over time. But, I'm wondering if NikkiLondon is describing something that might be different because of the way she describes what she is seeing?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 12, 2008, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I'm wondering if NikkiLondon is describing something that might be different because of the way she describes what she is seeing?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've got floaters too, LOADS of them, but I've learned to ignore them (or at least my brain has!), I've never describe them as "like the dots you get when you turn on a TV/computer" though... they're more like little, dark spots that move around when I look in different directions!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:08 AM
    I've also had lots of "floaters" in my eyes in my life. In my experience, they do vary as to how many of them there might be and in how intensely I might notice them. As such, maybe another condition might be suspected for the NikkiLondon here? Don't really know...
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 04:07 AM
    OP sounds obsessed with her 'black dots' so I can understand why they would manifest themselves the way she describes them. If I was this worried about a medical condition that I didn't understand, I would seek medical attention immediately.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
    I ended up getting carbon oxide gas in my eyes about 3 years ago next month. The floaters were so bad I was having a hard time seeing. A doctor friend of my son recommended that I take cut cucumber slices and place them on my eyes to bring out any of the carbon oxide gas that had entered my eyes. I did this and the cucumber slices were all dried out and brownish color after about 30 minutes. I did that for about a week every night and my floaters calmed down and I could see much better. I did not totally get rid of them though and they are still in my eyes but not as prominent. I was taking leutein pills for about a year and that helped alleviate the floaters as well. I also got a St. Lucy medal and said the prayer to St. Lucy and wear St. Lucy medal around my neck. This has helped me. The floaters take a long time to go away though, so don't be too impatient. Now, the only time that my dots bother me is when I'm looking at a white surface.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 04:10 AM
    twinkiedooter, floaters never go away. They just accumulate until you can't see around them anymore. Wearing sunglasses outside, reading, walking, keeps them at bay a little longer. As the eyes lose their natural lubricant, floaters accumulate.
    SenbonKick Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 09:40 PM

I have 1 simple question for you NikkiLondon. Do you see only 1 dot in the middle of your vision or do you see a lot of them? If you see only 1 dot (open/close/1 eye closed) and I mean in any condition... I have got the same problem over 10 years. But if you see a lot of dots, it's different ^_^
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 10:07 PM

Nikkilondon - I can only say that you need to go to a eye doctor ,just as soon as you can , my wife got them last spring and it took her 4 or 5 visits to get things better, they still bother her a little ,most so if she gets very tired, the eye doctor had to do somer laser surgery back inside the eye. BUT DO --GO TO A EYE DOCTOR SOON GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    The Derek Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

Nikki,, you got to check the below link out, I was amazed of how many people can see this. I thought I was the only one, but loads of people do.

see dots - Message Boards - American Foundation for the Blind
    Expert

Nov 27, 2008, 03:29 PM

I have 'floaters' not cataracts, my doctor has them and she is quite young. My eye doctor told me nothing can be done about 'floaters' little bits of black you see, all different sizes. I am a medical person, so I believe them and most times I don't see them. Its like my eye doctor explained it, the brain lets you see what it wants you to see and if you think about it, that is perfectly true.

Laser surgery cannot repair 'floaters'.

Nov 28, 2008, 04:46 AM

Its like a TV static screen and can be seen when eyes are closed or open and the colurs can be changed at will. Some people can also hear a high pitch sound when no others can. Its crazy... I looked round the net, some say its cuased by high blood pressure or it's a thing called visual snow and the sound thing is said to be tintitus. I think its cool, I would always maybe check it out with a doctor if your worried. But id loved to know what others may think it is. I'm turinig 30 in a few days and I hope it's a super power thingy... if I may get all trippy for a bit,, but both things are sort of assoiaeted when 'tunning' i.e static vision when tunning for a new channel on TV or high frequncy sound when tunnig radio or adjusting sound levels on a mixing board.

Its good to talk.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Derek View Post
    its like a tv static screen and can be seen when eyes are closed or open and the colurs can be changed at will. some people can also hear a high pitch sound when no others can. its crazy... i looked round the net, some say its cuased by high blood pressure or its a thing called visual snow and the sound thing is said to be tintitus. i think its cool,, i would always maybe check it out with a doctor if your worried. but id loved to know what others may think it is. im turinig 30 in a few days and i hope its a super power thingy.... if i may get all trippy for a bit,,, but both things are sort of assoiaeted when 'tunning' i.e static vision when tunning for a new channel on tv or high frequncy sound when tunnig radio or adjusting sound levels on a mixing board.

its good to talk.
    Hi The Derek, what the heck are you on about. It is nothing like that. It is a qualified eye condition and nothing to do with high pitched sounds, high blood pressure or visual snow.

Nov 28, 2008, 04:40 PM

Does that mean the qualified condition's technical term is 'floaters'?. I hate your doctor.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Derek View Post
    does that mean the qualified condition's technical term is 'floaters'? ... i hate your doctor.
    No one can diagnose anyone else over the internet, so no.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Actually, The Derek is right in a sense... Floaters can be caused by high blood pressure as well as hearing sounds like he describes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White dots under eyes [ 1 Answers ]

I have quite a few white dots under my eyes, and I think there increasing as well, I'm only 17 and I was wondering is there any solution 2 my problem, many thanks

2 dots on my penis [ 1 Answers ]

I just came across 2 small dots on my front middle part of my penis. I'm not sure if it is red/black/silver cause it is so small. So I can't see if it's a scab or something. When I touch them a bit it kind of hurts like cause I try to see if its like able to pull out. It seems like if I had a...

View more questions Search