Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormy602 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
    401k Disability Withdrawl
    I have been unemployed from my job of 25 years for the past three years. I am unable to work due to physical and mental disabilities. I am 46 years old and am about to make my second withdraw from my 401k. I have read that if disabled, the 10% penalty can be waived. I am awaiting a court date for my Social Security permanent disability. If I receive it, can I recoup my 10% penalties, as I was disabled at the time of the withdraw, but it was not finalized at the time. Thank you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
    The exception to Early Withdrawal penalty includes
    *if you are totally and permanently disabled,
    *You have deductible medical expenses (medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income).

Also you can withdraw due to Hardship. Check with your plan administrator.
    Many 401(k) plans allow employees to make a hardship withdrawal because of immediate and heavy financial needs. Generally, hardship distributions from a 401(k) plan are limited to the amount of the employee's elective deferrals.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedures to early withdrawal on 401k due to disability [ 1 Answers ]

I am 34 years old and I am in the middle of getting approved for visual disability. Once I am approved for SSDI, I am aware that I will be able to cash out my 401k without the 10% penalties. In doing so, what measures do I need to take to ensure the 10% early withdrawal penalty is not enacted. ...

401K withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to possibly withdrawl my 401K, which is about 13,000. I know that there are penalties and taxes, but approxiamately how much would I receive? Is it taxed when withdrawn or are the taxes paid at income tax time?

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and have to withdraw from my 401K in order to make a down payment on a house. I am also in the military and will be deploying to Iraq shortly. Question: If I cash in the 401K when I am in a tax free status (Iraq), will I still be taxed the 20% or just pay the 10% penalty?

View more questions Search