Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 12:56 PM
    1099 Status
    Hello, My daughter is in college and recently started a second part time job. The employer informed her that she is only paying her salary and nothing else. What status would that put my daughter in and what is she responsible for? I am not sure if this is a good arrangement for my daughter?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 11:34 PM
    If it's a "salary," then the company darn well is responsible for dealing with the taxes and such.

But the statement that they're paying "only her salary and nothing else" I think is confusing. At first I thought you meant they weren't paying benefits or reimbursing mileage or whatever. But I'm suspecting you're meaning they aren't taking out and paying any taxes for her, and not paying any of the extra stuff like unemployment and disability insurance, etc. Is that what you're meaning? If so, I'll just repeat that if it's a "salary" then they most definitely are responsible for this. Otherwise it wouldn't be a salary.

The IRS gets pretty picky about what's an employee and who's a contractor or self-employed. If this is just your normal old every-day sort of job, then she's most likely an employee.

Here's a page on the IRS site about it:
    Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

I would check first whether you think she is for sure supposed to be an employee, and in reality, she needs to speak to the company about it and get classified correctly. It's not uncommon for companies to try to pull this off. I don't really mind screwing over the IRS (I didn't say that!), but it screws over the employee as well and that ticks me off. If they won't budge, check out the section on the new Form 8919. Didn't know they had created that. They should have done that a long time ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Status and I-1099 [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a F-1 visa and I did some transactions (I think about 5) last year ( Sept- Nov) using Scottrade. I received a form I-1099 for it. My interest divident form those shares is 1.93 dollars. 1) Does it affect my F-1 Status in anyway? 2) Do I have file form I-1099, when I do my taxes, or...

1099 status [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I am on F1 and am working on 1099 as independent contractor.Can someone tell me about 1099 Active status.

F-1 Status with 1099 Misc [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I need some Advice: I am a current F-1 Student (since Jan 2002) Nationality - Indian I received a 1099 Misc form one employer (independent contractor). I told the employer about my status as a F-1 student, and even though I did not take any special classes to allow me to work off -...

OPT with F1 status, with W2 and 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

Hai, I am a new member. I am really glad about this forum, which is helping lot of people, My status in 2005: Student on F1 (I am still on F1 with OPT) Was attending school full-time until: August, 2005 Working on OPT from September, 2005. My nationality: Indian

1099 tax forms F1 status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on CPT and just have started working on 1099. I would really appreciate if someone can answer following queries: 1. What are the forms which I need to fill before actually getting paid? 2. Do I need to fill W-9? If not any other form? 3. Do I need to file taxes before December or...

View more questions Search