Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ryushi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Foxes: Canine or Feline
    What family are foxes in, Canines or Felines?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Foxes are related to canines. Wolves, coyotes, dogs, foxes, dingos, etc. are all related. They have non retractable nails and they walk on their toes among other common traits.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 21, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Foxes are from the canine family. Foxes are part of the family called Canidea. (dogs). They are however, a different branch of that family. Dogs are in the Canini Clad, where as foxes are in the Vulpine tribe.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Hello:

The chicken family... All the foxes I know are chicks.

excon
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 21, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

The chicken family.... All the foxes I know are chicks.

excon
    You're funny Excon! I had to spread the rep, or I would've commented! What about the silver foxes? I believe some may have feathers, because they hunted down a chick, but I also believe they come from many different families. There is your dog family, your dawg family, and of course the Charlie Rich silver fox family! ;)
    wolfgangk626 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    Foxes are related to canines. Wolves, coyotes, dogs, foxes, dingos, etc. are all related. They have non retractable nails and they walk on their toes among other common traits.
    Dogs, wolves, and coyotes are in the Canus genus: dogs are species familiarus, wolves are the species lupus, and coyotes are in the species "wiley". Sorry, I forgot.

Animals in the same GENUS can successfully, on a biological level, reproduce. Breeding between the same GENUS and SPECIES results in BREEDS [which really have no dignity of true nomenclature, other than the nickname 'variety' or 'serovar']. Therefore the mexican red wolf, arctic grey wolf, German Shepherd Dog and Yorkshire Terriers COULD, theoretically, successfully inter-breed and produce viable offspring. The offspring SHO ULD theoretically be fertile. But I would not approve of these 'mixed marriages'.

Dogs and wolves can and have inter-bred for millenia; I do not think dogs / wolves and foxes are able to successfully reproduce; they have differing numbers of chromosomes; so when the initial possibly fertilized cell divides, it fails and dies.
    Cheers!
    Sammie [10-21-2008, just found this].
    cytochromeb6f2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Dec 3, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangk626 View Post
    Dogs, wolves, and coyotes are in the Canus genus: dogs are species familiarus, wolves are the species lupus, and coyotes are in the species "wiley". Sorry, I forgot.

Animals in the same GENUS can successfully, on a biological level, reproduce. Breeding between the same GENUS and SPECIES results in BREEDS [which really have no dignity of true nomenclature, other than the nickname 'variety' or 'serovar']. Therefore the mexican red wolf, arctic grey wolf, German Shepherd Dog and Yorkshire Terriers COULD, theoretically, successfully inter-breed and produce viable offspring. The offspring SHO ULD theoretically be fertile. But I would not approve of these 'mixed marriages'.

Dogs and wolves can and have inter-bred for millenia; i do not think dogs / wolves and foxes are able to successfuly reproduce; they have differing numbers of chromosomes; so when the initial possibly fertilized cell divides, it fails and dies.
    Cheers!
    sammie [10-21-2008, just found this].
    It is important to note that while all members of the genus Canis can technically interbreed, this it not true for all genera.

Just because an organism has the same genus as another does NOT mean it is capable of interbreeding to produce viable, fertile offspring. It happens that in the case of Canis, the organisms are speciated by behavioral, temporal, geographic, or morphological means (pre-zygotic barriers). They do not have post-zygotic barriers, so fertilization can technically occur and the offspring should develop and be fertile.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 08:28 AM

Red wolves are believed to be hybrids of grey wolves and coyotes, based on studies of their mitochondrial DNA (mitochondria are tiny organs inside cells that have their own DNA*).

Wolves and coyotes are definitely known to interbreed on occasion. But more often, wolves kill and eat coyotes. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

*the mitochondria have their own DNA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feline equivalent to Down's Syndrome [ 10 Answers ]

Before we were married, my husband had 2 kittens, brothers. I have been around them their whole life, but we did not live together. They seemed very unintelligent as far as knowing their names, the word no, etc. Let me tell you what they look like: Meatball is very fat (hence the name) champagne...

Feline Intestinal Peritonitis- FIP [ 3 Answers ]

I just took a cat from a lady who was too poor to get the cat help. She is only 3 lbs and is supposed to be @ 4 months old and you can see every bone in her body. I immediately took her to my vet. He has made up his mind that she has FIP. I made him X-ray her to ensure she was not pregnant ( I am...

Feline Gingervitis [ 4 Answers ]

One of my cats has just been diagnosed with gingervitis. Her mother died from the same problem. Is gingervitis hereditary, is it always terminal & if not how is it treated? Would greatly appreciate any assistance to save her life.

Feline weight loss [ 5 Answers ]

My cat is 6 years old and recently began losing weight. She does not have any other symptoms of being ill, other than the weight loss. She is an indoor cat, does not get any particular exercise and nothing has changed with her life style. Can you help me understand what may be the cause?

Feline Acne/Gingivitis/Probiotics [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 10 year old male cat who has been suffering with feline acne all over his chin, nose, and cheeks. The vet said that it came from drueling from his back teeth that have gingivitis. Since he is on antibiotics, I would like to start him on probiotics. I have Culturelle at home. I...

View more questions Search