Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Batman33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Econlogical Effecs
    I have just seen a commercial where they are peddling do it yourself butterfly kits. You watch them grow then you let them go. How is the ecosystem going to be affected by the uncontrolled number of butterflies bieng released into the wild?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 9, 2008, 10:07 AM
    In a negative way. Most butterflies will die in the process that leads to becoming an adult.
    Butterflies only live a couple of days. They belong in nature, not in a kit.
    Actually I fear that these kits are sold at the expense of butterflies...

Where do you think they get these butterflies in these kits from?
    Besides that : butterflies are harmless. Once they fly out, all they do is mate and lay eggs to ensure descendants. There can not be enough of them flying around !
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 10:12 AM
    I bet if they were an alien species to the environment they were released into there is a potential to cause problems. However I am *hoping* there is some regulation in regards to this. If they were locale to the environment then I don't think it would cause much of a problem- but they thought that about a lot of introductions in the past. They could cause a butterfly effect.

Sorry couldn't help myself ;)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Their larvae seem the only source of danger to me. Those creeping creatures can destroy huge fields in no time. Of course, not all of them will feed on crops but if one species which do is among these butterflies, well...
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 03:34 PM
    I studied butterflies in grad school and I bought one of these kits for my son a few years ago. The species of butterfly is one that is already very common throughout the world*, so at least in North America, it's not a problem to release these beautiful animals. Adult butterflies can survive through one winter if the temperature is mild, as in coastal California or a similar environment. The ones in kits are likely reared in incubators in labs, not collected wild--which would be too much work. I used to raise butterflies, so I know it's easy. You just put the caterpillars on plants they like to eat and keep giving them fresh leaves.

It's unclear to me how well these butterflies survive in the wild. That would depend on where and when they were released. But also, being lab reared, they may have some problems adjusting... I'm not sure.

*The Painted Lady is found everywhere in the world except South America, the Arctic, and Australia.

I think these kits are mostly harmless and nice for children to watch.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    .... They could cause a butterfly effect.

Sorry couldn't help myself ;)

Sure you could... but glad you didn't. <G>

I'd think that they'd be good for the area. Don't they pollinate as they feed? With the loss of bees, we need pollinators. I don't think it's butterfly larvae that do the damage, but moths. Flutterby larvae do eat plants, but to affect an area there'd have to be a lot of them released. (Monarchs eat plantain - folks don't want that in their lawns anyway... )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search