Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smjackson1979 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
    1999 Suzuki Marauder
    1999 Suzuki Marauder engine shuts off after you put it in gear, what could be causing this?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 9, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smjackson1979
    1999 Suzuki Marauder engine shuts off after you put it in gear, what could be causing this?
    The motorcycle? Dies instantly when shifted into gear?
    There is a safety switch that kills the ignition if it's shifted into gear and the system "thinks" the kickstand is down (so you can't accidentally ride away with it down). Check that switch for sticking. With the engine running and the stand UP, just wiggle the plunger a little and retest putting it into gear. If you don't kill the engine, you know you will need that switch. Really simple to replace. Just go to the bike shop and purchase a new one. With the new one in hand you can see how it fits onto the bike, or the guy behind the counter will be able to give advice as to how to replace it.
    I hope this helps.

May 9, 2008, 05:24 PM
    What's the plunger
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 10, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smjackson1979
    what's the plunger
    The plunger is the part of this switch that moves.
    It will be where the stand touches when in the down position.
    It may have gotten corroded or dirty and sometimes, sometimes, just wiggling it will make it work, temporarily.

May 10, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Thanks I'll check it out
    dodgke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
    Also if your kickstand is down it will kick off the bike. Or check the plug right under your handle grip on your clutch side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About my 97 suzuki sidekick [ 1 Answers ]

Why after I replaced the water pump, the thermostat and the radiator my car is still overheated? I have a 97 suzuki sidekick and my friend had driven it when there was a water leack from the radiator but it's still overheated. Could it be the block craked or the head gasket?there is no leak noe...

Suzuki Esteem [ 4 Answers ]

How often should a 2002 Suzuki Esteem need fuel injection service? Should the relay box need to be replaced twice within a 4 month time span?

Suzuki GS 550L [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 1982 suzuki gs 550L. I put in a new battery and stator. The battery was fully charged as the manufacturer indicated. I tried starting the bike and it kept turning over but never started. The battery was drained within 5 minutes of tryiung to start it. I jumped the bike with my car and it...

Suzuki Marauder Engine noise [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I own a 1997 Suzuki Marauder. This is the VZ800 engine similar to the Intruder. I purchased it new and have about 12,000 miles. I have maintained the bike very well (above what is required). About a year ago I have heard a rattling sound coming from the lower front part of the engine. This...

View more questions Search