Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Mar 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Workshop/Garage GFCI
    What does it say in the code book about GFCI in a workshop. I plan on running 3 circuits for plugs. 1 down each side wall and one across the back wall. Do I need 3 GFCI, 1 on each run? How exactly does that play out with the code.

Also, are they they be connected at the start of the run OR in the middle, or does it matter as long as they are there and working?

Mike
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Is it a workshop or a garage or a garage being used as a workshop. GFCIs are required in a garage. GFCI can be wired to protect themselves only, or be wired to protect themselves and all outlets downstream. Yes you will have to have one on each circuit.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 04:08 AM
    It doesn't matter what it is. GFIs are required for RECEPTACLES in a garage and in any accessory building to a residence.

See 210.8(A)(2)
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Mar 13, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Ughh. Kind of wish I would have bought the GFi breakers instead of regular ones. But then, they came with the panel as a package deal lol. Not that I can't wire the plugs in, just easier to pop in a breaker. I guess buying 3 is not so bad.

This stuff gets expensive fast don't it

Thanks!

Mike
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Actually this way will save you money. Just have power go to Line side of the first GFI, then connect the Downstream recepticles onto the Load side of the GFI.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30amp GFCI to 50amp GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a square D panel box with 200 amp service coming into the house. I have a square D 30 amp double pole gfci breaker that was put in last year for a hot tub. I am now getting a new hot tub, and it requires a 50amp gfci breaker. The 30amp currently in place says type/tipo HOM. It is...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

Adding a Workshop [ 4 Answers ]

I am wanting to add a 40'x60' workshop on my property (36.5 acres in East Texas). I already have two meters at opposite ends of the property and will add a third meter for the workshop and a future home site for retirement. I am going to have the pole placed near the home site about 100' inside...

Garage GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

Must all the outlets in my garage be GFCI ? 1. I have receptacles in the ceiling for the lights to plug into, must they be GFCI? 2. How about 220 outlets for air compressor and welder, must they be GFCI?

Bringing power to my workshop [ 1 Answers ]

I have built a workshop in my backyard, and I'm trying to bring electricity to it. I have to use the attic to bring the wires to the back of the house. From the main panel to the shop we have around 90 feet or so. I was told to get a subpanel and to put it in the workshop. Now... I just want two...

View more questions Search