Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kb47 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:06 AM
    What are natural foods and vitamins to lower cholesterol?
    I do not have high blood pressure as a rule but I find it getting higher as I get older and I would like to keep it under control with vitamins(natural) and or minerals. What is recommended?
    Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
    These are the natural things that work best to regulate your blood pressure.
    Garlic

Cinnamon

Olive oil

Flaxseed or omega

Co Q10

Magnesium List of foods high in magnesium and drug interaction to be careful of Magnesium

Hawthorn- avoid if taking heart or blood medications.

Celery, Onion, Tomato, Broccoli, Carrot, Saffron, Fennel, Oregano, Basil and Tarragon.

Eliminate bad fats
    Fats 101: How to tell Good Fats and Bad Fats
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kb47
    I do not have high blood pressure as a rule but I find it getting higer as I get older and I would like to keep it under control with vitamins(natural) and or minerals. What is reccomended?
    Thanks
    High blood pressure or high cholesterol? Your title says one thing and your post says another.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Ahh I didn't catch the cholestrol part
    All the things I mentioned are good for high cholestrol too especially the garlic, olive oil, omega, CoQ10 and Hawthorn. Hawthorn can not be taken with heart/blood meds though.

Oh and still watch the bad fats vs good fats
    And eat fiber (whole wheats and grains)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 05:59 PM
    It's necessary to know if he/she is currently on any medication, as many natural remedies counteract with medications.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Try salba. It is a seed from South America. Flaxseed is too harsh on the digestive system for a lot of people (me included - it gives me the trots). Salba is also good for a LOT of other things for your system. You can Google for distributors. Google for the health benefits. It's a bit pricey at $25 a pound, but I only take a tablespoon full a day and it lasts a full month. It has omega 3.
    It lowers your cholesteral and blood pressure. Salba is also good for colitis as well. I grind it up and use it like flour - I don't use that much flour in a month - and I cook with it in the flour form. It makes food taste delicious as well. Flaxseed can have a strong flavor or bitter flavor - salba has a very light taste that is quite distinct. I like to eat it by itself as a snack. It reminds you of a sesame seed in size.
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
    I'll have to try that too flax and omega make me burp up an after taste yugh.
    (I don't like fish) Here is a site for that

Salba ® : Nature's Perfect Whole Food ™

Welcome to Full of Energy
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Oatmeal... if you believe the commericals.Tasty and a good way to start the day.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 06:18 PM
    NoHelp. I adore flaxseed bread and could not figure out why I was getting stomach pains until I stopped.

I grind my salba is an electric coffee bean grinder of all things. Works great for small batches.

You'll love Salba. I've shopped several sites for it and it is all basically the same price. The only thing they ding you with is the shipping.

Just looked at the tin container I have on my countertop. I got my last batch from vitaminlife.com as I ordered some other things from them and they have a one shipping charge for everything ordered no matter how much. Killed 2 birds with one stone.
    dwilyn Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2010, 06:40 PM
    I use Red Yeast Rice Extract which is a naturally occurring statin and is widely available over the net. My family doc was a little skeptical when I suggested it after having a terrible experience with Lipitor-lean muscle loss, pain in my legs, liver count shooting up etc but she could not argue with the numbers which went from high normal/dangerous to low normal for the past 6 years. RYRE and niacin are usually enough to bring anyone's cholesterol to normal/healthy ranges. Stay away from pharmas like Lipitor or Crestor. Google them and check out all of the side effects. Garlic and Omega 3's seem to help also.
    Dwilyn

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good foods bad foods [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows what foods I should avoid if trying to get pregnane and if there are any foods I should eat more of? Also I am know taking prenatal vitimins after dinner on a full stomach is thar right? Be grateful for your advice X

Lower left abdomen and lower backpain [ 3 Answers ]

My lower left abdomen really hurts with my lower backpain and its just happen right after my husband and I have sex,but before that I frequently feel numb un my left arm and leg. :confused: someone help me...

HIgh cholesterol [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of any vitamins or foods that help lower LDL cholesterol and boost the HDL ?

Recipes to lower high cholesterol [ 1 Answers ]

My family has a history of high cholesterol and it's happening to me. I walk a lot, I avoid fatty foods and I take a bottle of Danacol daily. My problem is I'm starting to hate boiled or steamed vegies. I can't even stand the smell anymore. Where can I find some good low fat recipes . Thanks

View more questions Search