Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Feb 2, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Is it okay to heat up dog food?
    Missy was put on Hills... ID for her stomach issues, but doesn't like the food after it's been in the frig, and it has gotten cold. Tonight I warmed it up for about 20 seconds and she wolfed it down. Is it okay to warm up the dogs food in the microwave? Also what about dogs laying on heating pads.. Missy loves to lay on our heating pads, and we often let her.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:43 PM
    If she wants warm food, heat it up. Doesn't hurt her. Don't recommend heating pads though as a rule. I have an electric blanket and my Jack Russell loves to either lay on the top of the covers or under the covers when it is on (and any other time for that matter). Heating pads can get too hot for her.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 08:31 AM
    How much wet food are you giving her? My concern with heating it up is that there may be hot spots in the food. But if you heat it minimally, and stir it up a little, it should be fine. I do it for my cats sometimes, but generally only go 10 seconds in the microwave. On the other hand, I'm probably heating a much smaller amount of food than you are!

As to the heating pad, you may want to look at this: Dog Beds: Cozy Cushion® Dog Bed by Drs. Foster & Smith It has that space-age material lining it, and heats the dog by reflecting its body heat back at it. No cords, no batteries, washable, and my cats and dog love theirs.
    ayashe Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Feb 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
    I am heating up 1/3 of a cup... and mixing it as I go for about 20 seconds. Thanks for the information!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Be very careful of leaving electrical cords around a chewer. They are perfectly fine with some dogs, but deadly to others.

As for the good doctors, I ordered something from them once and for the next several years my inbox was filled with spam. There was no stopping it, unsubcribe links, telephone calls,etc. until I abandoned that address. I would never buy anything from them again.

www.vetvax.com has much the same stuff, good prices, and has never spammed me.

If you are having trouble getting your dog to eat, you maybe over feeding it. It is long, but check the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 4, 2008, 10:00 PM
    I/d is yucky stuff, although it works great once you get it in the dog. If heating it is what works, by all means do it. Stir thoroughly and check temp with your finger before serving

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dry Dog Food for Small Dog [ 3 Answers ]

My Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzu have digestive trouble with their current dog food - Bil-Jac. I purchased California Natural Lamb and Rice, but the nuggets are so large and hard that my one dog won't eat them. She picks them out of the bowl and sets them on the floor. Does anyone make a high quality...

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search