Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Can we still get Bonus check after lay-off
    My husband was laid off last week due to reduction in work force. The bonus checks for the 2007 year are due to be printed in the next few weeks. Is he still entitled to receive his bonus since he did work the whole 2007 year.

Thank you,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Depends on what corporate policy says about eligibility for a bonus.
    stacis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
    How would I find out about their policy? I don't think they are going to want to give me that info.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stacis
    How would I find out about their policy? I don't think they are going to want to give me that info.

Does your husband have a copy of the policy? If they aren't going to give it to you the only way I can think of to get it is from another employee or, if he does not get the bonus, sue in Small Claims and be prepared for whatever documentation they bring.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Hello stacis:

Some companies don't have written policy. If you called, you could be right about what they'll tell you. If they do that kind of dance, I'll bet that means hubby WON'T be getting a check. If he is getting one, then there wouldn't be any reason for them to give you a runaround.

I'd call 'em up.

If he doesn't get a check when everybody else gets one, and they don't have, or refuse to provide you with written policy, he still may have some redress. That depends, of course, on many factors including the reasons for the bonus, how the bonus is calculated, who gets the bonus, how long he's been getting the bonus, and how they've handled this particular bonus situation before. Your husband probably isn't the first case.

Ultimately, if it looks like he's being cheated, and the bonus is a lot of money, then you might seek legal counsel. A good lawyer might just be able to shake a check out of them with one threatening letter.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Being laid off just at bonus check times doesn't sound too good to me. Sounds like the company is having financial problems and probably won't be handing out checks to anyone this year. Do follow up though and see what info you can get out of them. Does hubby have any friends who are still employees? Any friends that are in the same boat he is, laid off?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
    I would agree, unless you have a written contract that you would receive a bonus, then I really doubt you will ever see it, ( sorry)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lay Off In California [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any California regulations prohibiting a company from laying off an employee who is pregnant? Not on maternity leave but working and pregnant. This person would be part of a 10 employee layoff.

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Dog won't lay still more than 2 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

Our dog is having issues. She lays down and two minutes later, she is up walking in a circle and then lays down again. This is constant? She has issues she is constantly licking herself. You give her a bath and he next day she back to licking. She is about 13+ years old, rusty red mix dog.

Is Ken Lay really dead? [ 12 Answers ]

It seems funny to me that Ken Lay would just die prior to serving 25 years in prison. Do you think that with his money, he could pull of faking his own death? Would it be possible for anyone with enough money to do that?:confused: I can just see him, Elvis and Jim Morrison in a huge Log cabin in...

When to lay fertilizer? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Im from ON, Canada. The weather this week has had highs of about 15C. I have scotts fertilizer weed control which will control dandelions. Last year I had a ton of them and want to avoid it this year. It says to lay the fertizlizer when weeds are actively growing. Do I lay this down in the next...

View more questions Search