Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anka120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Marriage Abroad--Eligibility To Marry document?
    Hi everyone!
    I apologize if you stumble upon this more than once---I cross-posted this under a few other topics since I need advice fast!

I'm a US citizen and am engaged to marry my fiancé in Saint-Petersburg, Russia. He is a Russian citizen, born/raised there.

Where and how can I obtain a document/certification/anything that proves that I am single and have never been married/divorced? I know that this type of "Eligibility to Marry" document is required to marry in Russia.

However,now I see that the USA doesn't have this type of document..? What should I do? Is there an alternative option acceptable in Russia (maybe they accept an affidavit of some sort)? What have other people done in similar situations? I need to acquire this document while still within the U.S. prior to coming to Russia. The State Dpt. Sites, etc. are sites are not much help at all and I am not sure what else to do. Any and all help, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.

I should add that I have very little time before I leave the States, so I need to find out ASAP

Thank you so much!
    teejaycody Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 04:07 AM
    Maybe a time frame of your life, example, birth cert, confirmation/communion doc, w2's for a few years etc. all showing your last name may work.

Hope this might be of help.

Brenda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 years and counting, to marry or not to marry [ 7 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years, is it time to get married?

About J1 tax eligibility [ 11 Answers ]

Hello,experts. I have a question about tax of J1 hoder to consult with you. I will do postdoc research in South Carolina recently with J1 visa. I book the air ticket on Dec 31, 2007, but boss told me arrival on this date will lose one year of tax eligibility, he ask me to change the date of...

Cobra eligibility [ 5 Answers ]

The company I was working with was closed. The health plan was terminated. I have pre-conditions sucha as high blood pressure so I'm not eligible for an individual health plan. Am I eligible for COBRA? What option do I have other than a group plan?

Marriage visa - Living abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Help. I am an American living in London with my South Korean wife. We both live and work here in the UK. We recently had a son, who is now also an American passport holder. We have no immediate plans to relocate to the States. My question: Can my wife start the process of becoming an...

View more questions Search