Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Milkweed Pods and How to Prepare Them for Decorating
    As an avid vegetable and flower gardener, I love to have a lot of butterflies in the flower portions of my gardens. One of the plants that I grow is Milkweed. That is to attract and also help to maintain our Monarch Butterfly population as well as to make my gardens a little-bit-o-heaven as much as possible.

As a result of growing the Milkweed, I of course have all of these pods from them at the end of the season.

When I was a little boy, I remember my dad bringing Milkweed pods home for us to decorate for the Christmas season. I don't remember where he got them from. All I remember is painting them and then putting all sorts of other decorative stuff on them.

What I am asking is, how do you dry them and prepare them for decorating? Do you use an oven or some other means of drying them? Or, do you need to dry them before decorating them at all?

Thank you! :)
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Hi there! I have gone to the woods in search of items to place in dried flower arrangements. I have a very tall pottery vase, about 3/4 of my height. I have found sage plentiful and cattails and added other treasures from the woods, some being milkweed pods. When I go in search of my treasures, most things of this nature are already dried and have formed magnificent shapes. Some look like insects, others like exotic tropical flowers when painted bright colors, others quite dressy in a black vase with pods painted with Emperors Gold acrylic paint. If they are not dried, pop them open, clean them out and let dry in a warm room or put in a dehydrator. My knowledge of working with milkweed pods is very limited. I will see if I have some here and make sure they are the milkweed pods I am describing but I am pretty sure that is what they are called. Do you have any photos of the pods your family decorated for Christmas. I would love to see you post those photos. I love original decorations and the older, the more interesting to me.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 12:19 PM
    We use to make poinsettas with Milkweed pods, but all we did to dry them was bring them in the house in a warm locations and let them dry out for about 1 week, they can also be hung like strung up to dry out, although the dehydrator sounds like a really quick solution too!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Thank you so much for the answers above! Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decorating my lounge [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me - my lounge is 18ft X 10ft it has a fitted carpet in teal colour - what colour should I paint the walls - also I would like a feature wall - what colour should the suite and curtains be??

Decorating my bird cage with 2 birds? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello :) I have a pretty big bird cage, and 2 parakeets. My question is - How do I decorate my bird cage safely? Because I had this what I thought really great idea, and now I'm not so sure if its as good as I thought.- Ok, I wanted to make it as realistic as I could. I wanted to put either...

Interior decorating [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of some good sites to find ideas on decorating a bedroom with the beach theme? Or on winery kitchen themed ideas? Thanks.

Kitchen paint decorating [ 2 Answers ]

We're refacing cabinets with Doormark wild apple (brownish-red cherry) cabinets. We have light oak floor & bordeaux granite (darkish - brown/red/black) countertops. What paint color is suggested between cabinets and countertop? We also have an island with picture-framed sides to be painted. ...

View more questions Search