Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 11:50 AM
    H1-B Contractor
    Hello,

I am currently on a H1-B visa as a contractor for a company. Close to 17% of my wages is currently being deducted as Federal Income Tax. I think I should be taxed as a regular employee since I work for them. I would appreciate it if anyone can Shed some light on tax status of Contractors under H1-B visa.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 12:17 PM
    There is a checklist availabled on Internal Revenue Service that gives details as to what constitutes and employee versus an independent contractor.

However, if you review that checklist and insist on being employed as an employee, you will likely find yourself on the next plane to your home country, as your employer will probably fire you and withdraw their sponsorship for your visa.

If you want to risk that, fine. Just understand the risk you are taking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contractor Suit [ 3 Answers ]

Next month I will be representing myself in small claims court (called Warrant in Debt in Virginia). I am suing a contractor who installed tile in my bedroom suite. The tile began popping up and coming loose within a month of installation. My question is pretty basic: Do I present my...

Independent Contractor [ 6 Answers ]

I did a little searching around and found a few topics that touched on this, but my circumstances are a bit different than the topics I found. I just was obtained by a small web design company as an independent contractor, I've never done anything like this before, but it seems like a great gig...

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

Getting insurance as a contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have no health insurance because I just started working on a contract basis. How to I get insurance as a contractor? I don't make much so I am looking at the cheapest option

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

View more questions Search