Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynful Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Life after hipaa violation
    I worked for a hospital in a responsible position for 6 years. During this time I had to review many charts as part of my position. In the past few weeks, my mother was in the ICU. My entire family felt that we were not getting the whole picture. Yes, I did it. I yielded to temptation and read my mother's chart. Another family member slipped and said something to our wicked step-sister that she didn't already know and she put two and two together and turned me in (my step father has mom's power of attorney). I had a spotless record, but of course, I was terminated at once. I knew this was a risk but took it anyway and I lost. I will learn from this and go on. What I need to now is-am I now on some kind of national registry? Am I banned from ever working in healthcare related fields again? I am just trying to recover from losing my job and trying to pick up the pieces while still trying to help my family deal with the fact that our mother has a catastrophic brain injury. I need to figure out what my career options are from this point forward. I had never been tempted before and doubt I would be again but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has ever yielded to temptation on this matter when it was their loved one laying there. :(
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I honestly do not know the answer but there is a free legal forum you can register on and ask about HIPAA violations and such:
    Is giving out my home address a Hipaa Violation? - FreeAdvice Forums

Perhaps J_9 will see your question and give you the best answer.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
    I don't believe there is a national registry, but there is one statewide. Has your license been suspended? Terminated?

Typically this is not an infraction that would permanently revoke your license, it all depends also on what your license was.

You can contact your state license registry to find out your status. If you provide me your state and your level of license I may be able to help you.

I may need some personal info, if I do, that can be discussed via PM so as to provide you anonymity.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 26, 2007, 05:25 AM
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she gets all the best care and recovers. {{HUGS}}

I'm not sure about a national registry (doubt it), but perhaps this will help:
    HHS - Office for Civil Rights - HIPAA
    HIPAA.ORG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my Hipaa rights have been violated. I have sleep apnea and I recently had a sleep study done as usual follow-up for my condition. The other day in the mail I received a letter from a dentist who was soliciting for business for a dental appliance for people with sleep apnea. In this letter...

HIPAA Violation? [ 7 Answers ]

My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with...

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search