Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pakama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 AM
    Load-bearing walls
    What are the disadvantages of load-bearing walls(Brick-walls)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2013, 11:20 AM
    Every structure has bearing and non bearing walls. Bearing walls transfer load, live and dead, to the foundation. Typically, gable end walls are non bearing, side walls are bearing. The main disadvantage of a bearing wall is limited span opening. BTW is this a homework question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have load bearing walls? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a small house. The lot is 80 x 20 and it is attached on both sides to other houses. It has a poured concrete and cinder block basement and plaster and lathe 1st and 2nd floors. There are no walls that run the length or width in the interior of my house and no walls that are directly above...

Load Bearing Walls [ 21 Answers ]

How can you tell if it a interior wall or a Load Bearing Walls

Load bearing walls [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 29 foot load bearing wall. I am going to leave 4 ft. then tear down a 7ft section and then will have 18 ft still standing. Will the wall still stand or do I need to support it somehow? Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Load Bearing Walls [ 1 Answers ]

I am confused about what are the joist and not the joists in my basement. It is a 100 year old house. I have one main bean that runs front to back (supported by columns- the kind with a large cement bottom you might see when building a deck, the term is escaping me at this moment- in basement)...

Load bearing walls [ 1 Answers ]

When replacing a load bearing wall what size lumber do I need to support a second story floor when the opening is 16ft. This wall is in the center of the house which is 24ft wide

View more questions Search