Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lea 56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 05:22 AM
    Paying back property taxes on inherited property
    My mother inherited my grandmothers property when she passed. My mother then gave me the property. Well my grandma had't paid property taxes for 10 years some kind of a waiver she got. Well now they want me to pay them. Do I have to do this? It doesn't seem fair. The state of CA has sent me a demand letter wanting the bill paid in full or else start a foreclosure. She also had a home improvement loan through the county that was not paid in full and they have a lien on the property if I was to sell it. Am I liable for this debt? Thank you for any replies.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea 56 View Post
    ... Do I have to do this? It doesn't seem fair. ...Am I liable for this debt? ...
    Probably. You might want to have an attorney look at it to be sure, but it appears to have been some sort of a conditional waiver and the conditions weren't fulfilled.

And why do you suppose you, as the property owner wouldn't have to pay back the loan?

Was your grandmother's estate probated?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
    As a general rule you accept property (buy, gift) with all encumbrances that exist - primarily taxes and liens. Those attach to the property and someone has to pay them. That someone is the owner.

Your grandmother had a tax waiver and no one advised the authorities that circumstances had changed (she died) and cancelled the waiver?

Of course they want you to pay the taxes - that's fraud. I'm surprised no one has been criminally charged (so far).

And, yes, the lien goes with the property. If you sell, the lien gets paid first.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
    The first things is you need to get the facts. You need to find out what type of waiver your grandmother had and what conditions were required. It is possible the waiver expired when she died and you only own taxes back to that point.

As for the lien, the property should not have been transferred until the lien was satisfied. So I'n not sure how it was transferred to your name. But yes a loan secured by property stays with that property. I'm not sure why you think any of this is not fair.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
    There's another thread about an estate which was never probated. This question is one of the many things that can happen when no one has Court authority, no one knows the exact situation. If the estate HAD been probated the property tax situation/waiver would have been addressed - at least in my area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Property owned by four people - one paying property taxes [ 7 Answers ]

There has been land in my family for one hundred years. About 19 years ago I was put on title with four other family members. The land is in Ontario Canada. Ten years ago the title was change to myself and three other family members as one died and was removed from title. The property taxes were...

Acquiring property by paying back taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find out information on whether you can acquire a property by paying the back taxes owed

Paying Back Taxes to Own a Property [ 1 Answers ]

I'm curious, do anyone happen to know what states have the shortest amount of time to redeem property purhcased at a foreclosure auctions. I know it varies depending on the state

View more questions Search