Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    48spirit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Levy on bank acct
    The IRS put levy on my personal acct and my business acct for back taxes. Can I go open a bank acct at another bank and will they do the same there when I open with my ss#
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 01:31 PM

Yes, they will follow you to the new bank - but it might take some time.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 28, 2009, 04:09 PM

Yes, they will find it. I know you may want to open another one but you may be better off to pay cash for things and try to work on a payment plan with the IRS. And I may be wrong on this but some banks may run a check on you before they let you open a checking account
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 04:31 PM

Yes, they will garnish it as soon as they find it
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jul 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Even if you are successful in getting a new bank account it won't help. As others said, they will find out about it. And that may make things worse! The IRS can also seize your car, your house, your wages, your retirement accounts, the cash value of life insurance, etc. So if they are coming after you the sensible thing to do would be contact them and work out a payment schedule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Creditor got default judgement - levy on acct [ 12 Answers ]

From an account that was from 09/2001 I JUST found out I got a levy on my checking account. I do not know of any certified letter received. I dug through some mail and found a letter that was sent through regular mail but had the wrong address (State Highway 903 instead of 303) Therefore I do...

How do I get judement on his bank acct [ 1 Answers ]

I wrote about taking the guy back to court and you said frank that I could garnish his wages or bank acct but he do not week and owes a trailer park and he add his friend on the trailer park but I know he got a bank acct how do I go about getting papers served on his acct?

IRA Bank Acct. [ 1 Answers ]

Can they freez an IRA acct at a Bank?

View more questions Search