Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chickahd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 02:53 AM
    Minimum wage laws for live in hotel employees
    I am a live-in hotel employee. I been the housekeeper for around 3 years, but now I work in the front office. My room is part of my pay. It's cost about 200 a week. I also receive a salary of 150 per week. Currently they have me working 60 hours a week. I receive no days off. Is this legal? When you do the math, I don't even make minimum wage.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 30, 2011, 03:55 AM
    You posted twice with slightly different information. Aug. 26th states you were terminated, etc. You were replied to in this thread

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/labor-...ee-594674.html
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 30, 2011, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chickahd View Post
    I am a live-in hotel employee. I been the housekeeper for around 3 years, but now I work in the front office. My room is part of my pay. It's cost about 200 a week. I also receive a salary of 150 per week. Currently they have me working 60 hours a week. I receive no days off. Is this legal? When you do the math, I don't even make minimum wage.
    So your question would be whether there is an exception to the minimum wage law to cover this situation.

And from your other thread, I gather you are in Georgia.

Georgia statutes have a minum wage of $5.15. I believe this is pre-empted by Federal law, which requires a higher hourly wage. I see no exception to cover live-in hotel employees.

I suggest that you contact the state or federal department of labor and have them look into this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minimum wage goes up in July, 2009; unemployement rate to follow? [ 12 Answers ]

The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008; and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage. U.S....

Salary minimum wage [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for a company to pay me less then minimum wage based on 45 hours a week worked? Right now I'm making under $400/week at $19,000 a year. The minimum wage in Oregon is $8.40/hour. On salary I'm making 8.11 hour. Is this legal? What about getting overtime?

Minimum wage [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently working at a restaurant in Wisconsin and I am 17 years old. I started in October 2007 and is now June 2008. I am making minimum wage which is $5.90 an hour. This is not a high class restaurant but it is not a McDonalds or anything close to that. I was wondering if you think that I...

What will happen if the Nation raise the minimum wage? [ 34 Answers ]

What will come along when it happens? Thanks:)

Minimum wage [ 1 Answers ]

The law says that certain seasonal employees are not covered by minimum wage but no onle lists what seasonal employment means. I work part-time(less than 40hrs/wk for a golf course as a ranger/cart attendant, are they required to pay me minimum wage since I am generally only employed March through...

View more questions Search