Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Just NEED to know
    Is this normal procedure/legal when a teenager is adopted because Children's services took them off the mom to take the mom and dad's name off the birth certificate and replace it with the adoptive parents names? Can it be changed back when he is 21?

Thank you

(post went through twice)
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Just NEED to know
    Is this normal procedure/legal when a teenager is adopted because Children's services took them off the mom to take the mom and dad's name off the birth certificate and replace it with the adoptive parents names? Can it be changed back when he is 21?

Thank you
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 04:28 PM
    The name should be able to be changed back when they are 18. That is when the child is an adult and could change their name to "Gummy Bear" if they wanted, why not back to birth name?
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 04:37 PM
    I want him to change his name back to his birth name but I want my name and my ex's back on it too. I don't know if what they did was even normal procedure. I know he can change HIS name back or to whatever, but I want to know if they even had a legal right to take my name off.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
    If they had legal custody, then yes. Perhaps this depends on the state as well. That part I am not sure.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Apr 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
    I was adopted, and at the time of adoption on the papers they did the same thing your talking about to my papers also because I have the papers now because both of my adoptive parents are deceased. I found my biological mother when I was 24 and had a relationship with her for 20 years before she passed also, during the time I spent with her we went to the Minnesota health dept. and got a copy of the original birth certificate with her name and my birth name both on it,so what I'm trying to say is I think there is always a original birth certificate filed at the state health dept. where the person is born , but the only way to get a copy of that is to be with the birth mother so she can sign a piece of paper saying its all right for the individual on it to get a copy of it. I hope this makes sense.

Apr 2, 2008, 04:48 PM
    If you go to the health dept. the individual you and he can get an original copy when you sign for it, other wise who ever tries to get one now it has there name on it and his adoptive parents name on it.

Apr 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Sorry, I missed one part, you should still be on the original.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Thank you
    I hope someday we can do this
    I don't even care if he keeps the adoptive parents name and maybe adds his birth name too
    But right now he is in Germany, I am in Pittsburgh and his birth certificate is in Harris County, Tx.
    Thanks

Apr 2, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Have faith and keep him in your heart I know it's a very difficult thing for all people involved, it was a very rewarding experience for me and my mother I know she was very happy the day we got it together I could see it in her eyes and I also was very happy, I think the best part is I found out I had a sister through all of it and I always wanted a sister when I was younger but I grew up with a family of four boys which was all right too. I have a wonderful relationship with my sister as of this day and we share a lot of traits which is really neat since we didn't grow up together.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Yeah I just feel like he should have the same last name as his brother and sisters.
    It just seems so wrong that he doesn't any more. Plus everything the CPS put us through--
    It would help me get over it a little.

Apr 2, 2008, 05:34 PM
    What ever name he has you have to remember in your heart he is still your son even though he's not with you right now no one can take that away what you have in your heart for him, Just focus that if it is meant to be some day the two of you will meet again and that will hopefully be a joyous day for the both of you.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 05:46 PM
    I know but it would just make everything feel 'whole' to have his name back.
    Even though they can never give back what they stole over the years.
    I don't even really mind his adopted name being on his Army jacket.
    gig111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2008, 02:08 AM
    As an adult you can change your name to pretty much whatever you want it to be. Just fill out the right papers with the government
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack dandy
    I was adopted, and at the time of adoption on the papers they did the same thing your talking about to my papers also because i have the papers now because both of my adoptive parents are deceased. I found my biological mother when i was 24 and had a relationship with her for 20 years before she passed also, during the time i spent with her we went to the Minnesota health dept. and got a copy of the original birth certificate with her name and my birth name both on it,so what I'm trying to say is i think there is always a original birth certificate filed at the state health dept. where the person is born , but the only way to get a copy of that is to be with the birth mother so she can sign a piece of paper saying its alright for the individual on it to get a copy of it. I hope this makes sense.
    Only if the adoption is not a closed adoption would this possibly work. (getting the original).
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I want him to change his name back to his birth name but I want my name and my ex's back on it too. I don't know if what they did was even normal procedure. I know he can change HIS name back or to whatever, but I want to know if they even had a legal right to take my name off.
    Yes, the adoptive parents will have a "new" birth certificate indicating them as the original parents. And yes they had the legal right to do away with the biological parents names, just like they had the biological parents rights done away with as well.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:54 AM
    It wasn't closed he was 14 and had been wrongfully 'stolen' off me by Child Protective Services. He knows I am his mom so closed wouldn't have had much purpose. I know that is true of closed infant adoptions though.
    I hope someday I can get the closest to original that I possibly can. I do need a revisit to Baytown someday soon so I will stop by Houston.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Threads merged
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I may again sort of go against the flow,

If a child ( teen) is legally adopted, and their birth certificate is changed to show the new name. That actual birth certificate cannot be changed when they become an adult, they may go to court and have their name changed, but that does not change the birth certificate

If there is some dispute that the teen does not want to be adopted that concern needs to be addressed
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
    I am looking for putting my and his dads name back on
    Not so much change his name.
    I know he can change his name to G. I. Joe if he wanted to.
    He is 19 and in Iraq now.
    Jack Dandy said if I go to where his original birth certificate is I should be able to get a copy of the original which is what I want.
    If I can do that it will be good enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search