Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evasaker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2014, 07:07 AM
    University /family problems
    I would like to study in university in france, my father (and my whole family) is against it. If I go to study in france my family will not support me financially. I did some researches and public universities in france are very cheap. Is there a way I can go study and live on my own without my family's help?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 22, 2014, 07:18 AM
    The cost of living in France is high, outside of education. Do the low prices apply to residents only? Is there a 'residence' period to qualify, such as a year, 2 years? Are your grades good enough to get a scholarship? We can't really work on this for you. There are too many variables. Start by contacting some of the universities you might want to attend. Often the information is on their websites!

Nov 22, 2014, 07:23 AM
    If I go to france, I won't attend a private university because it is very expensive. Public universities are about 300 euros per year which is great. But I would like to know if getting a part time job or financial aid for example can be enough for me to live on my own in france. I will go as a student.
    current pert

Nov 22, 2014, 07:48 AM
    I got the public part already. You didn't answer any of my questions! (But I ended with the fact that this is the sort of question that can only be answered by each school. And cost of living in the area of each school will be different. Paris, for example, is one of the most expensive cities in the world. And so on! ASK THE SCHOOLS!)

Cost of housing is the biggie, and it will vary a lot anywhere. When I was a student, I worked very hard to find the cheapest places with the most roommates to share expenses. You can get an idea of the costs of living for any given city with a little research, but a lot of work can get costs down.

Since you seem to think people can just hand you this information, and since you seem to think costs are the same all over France, and since you don't seem to answer questions very well, then I don't think you have what it will take to get a scholarship to study in France, sorry.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2014, 02:15 PM
    Check out various organizations that assist with student housing in France. First place would be to contact the university that you are considering as they can assist you. You will have to be willing to research and make contacts, but you should be able to find an option that will work for you. especially if you are not too particular in what you want. Some cheap but safe is the way to go with limited funds.
    Is your family against it because it is far from where you live? There can be great benefit in studying abroad.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 22, 2014, 02:21 PM
    France is a good choice for university education. The exchange rate with the US dollar is pretty good considering the Franc it is 1.03.

Unfortunately, unless you have good contacts in Europe, and your family supports you, and you have a scholarship, ir is not worthwhile for you.

Food is cheap, not housing, but one can get by with support; I cant really say, unless you speak french, a part time job would be good for you. Do you speak french, or any other european language, german, dutch, etc ?

And then there is the expense of Visas and an up dated passort.

You have a lot to think about.

Nov 24, 2014, 10:22 AM
    I go to a french high school I speak french fluently. If I go to france I will stay in university dorms. Otherwise what do I need to do to be able to live on my own? (Financially)
    current pert

Nov 24, 2014, 11:22 AM
    Nothing. I didn't spend money when I lived on campus in a dorm. But you are putting the cart before the horse - you still haven't said how you will get a full scholarship for room, board, and tuition. Dorms cost more than living off campus.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2014, 11:41 PM
    Contact the University, but I think, the "cheap" price is for French citizens, and a foreigner will be paying a higher price.

But, no, unless you can work and earn enough, you can not afford to do this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Family Problems [ 8 Answers ]

I am a teenage girl. I have a brother who works very hard in his job. My mother and father are of age 40 and 49. My father lost his job before 3-4 months. My mother is a housewife. My mother and father fights on small matter. But then fight just get turns into a big one. My father is a calm mind....

University people problems. Help please. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I’m a 1st year uni student and didn’t go out with the class much as I prefer staying in. My class haven’t bothered to get to know me and I have found they talk behind my back. They say I work too hard, cry too much and I think no one likes me. It's bugging me. I work my butt off and always...

Family problems [ 2 Answers ]

Well I'm having problems with my foster family... They assume that just because I ddont hang around them 24/7 that ik don't like them and I explain that there is no problem between me and them its between me and another child in the home... and I know if I go around her I will really hurt her...

Family problems [ 8 Answers ]

I had gotten a personal loan in my name and in my name only but I had given the money to my sister and she had told me that she would make the monthly payments because she needed the money at the time and she was good on her word she never missed a payment until recently she said she was no longer...

View more questions Search