Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jun 8, 2010, 11:43 AM
    calculating odds using points
    I'm starting a little friendly fifa world cup pool on Facebook with my friends (no money), and I would like to calculate the odds of team A beating team B using their Fifa points standings only. So basically lets say I choose team A and my buddy chooses team B. And team A has 1200 points and team B has 1000. What are the odds that team A will win etc.

I've tried to look up how to calculate odds on matches, and the math covers way more than what I'm looking for. In wikipedia, it uses an example of the odds that any random day would be Sunday. They use, this formula 1-p/p, where p is the probability of an event. But that's the trouble I'm having, I don't know how to calculate the probability of either team winning, using their points standings. Maybe its not even odds I'm after, just probability. I'm not really sure. Any advice?

Jun 8, 2010, 11:45 AM

Is it as simple as dividing the two numbers? For example, team A with 1200 points, team B with 1000. Does that mean that team A has a 20% better chance than 50/50 of winning?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:58 AM

Unfortunately, more information would be welcome.

If each point gives the same odds of winning, then, I can do something.

The total points is play are: 1000 + 1200 = 2200

So, the odds that your team win are 1200/2000 = 60%, a little more than his team winning, which is 40%

Jun 9, 2010, 09:16 AM

That's what I was thinking. If I made a ceiling on the points. Lets say that team A has 1200 points out of a possible 2000 and so no. So team A is 60% and team B is 50%. So would team A have a 10% better chance of winning?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 11:12 AM

A better 20% chance according to the way I did it.

Remember that probability add up to one. 100% - 60% = 40%

Now, if there is also the possibility that both of you win, and both of you lose, then, your chances of winning will go down ;)

Jun 11, 2010, 01:33 PM

Yes, I follow. Add the points together, calculate what percentage of the total each team has, and then there you go. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating Raffle Odds [ 13 Answers ]

I have been trying to figure this out, have done many, many searches, read hundreds of pages, and still cannot understand the calculation. (Most questions have to do with lotto odds... ) The specifics are, for example: 100,000 entries 5 prizes of equal value 50 entries. I thank anyone...

Calculating break even points [ 2 Answers ]

Sales (2,000 tables @ $100 per table) $ 1,000,000 Variable expenses 400,000 Fixed expenses 120,000 How to compute the contribution margin (CM)? (sale price per table) $500-$200=500/300 $200 How many tables must be sold in order for my store to break even? What dollar amount of...

What are the odds of this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a credit score of 592, I am 20 years old and have only 500 in debt, I make $44,000 have a wife a 2 kids. I'm trying to get a house that costs $69,500 with Texas First Time Homebuyers trying to assist me. I can't sleep because the woman I talk to about the program and loan hasn't called me...

What are the odds? [ 15 Answers ]

Tonight I found out that a girl I know is pregnant. So I called to say hello and ask if she was doing well... bla bla bla. I asked if it was her other child's father, she says she hopes it is but she thinks its mine! Wow!! She's 6 weeks pregnant and she and I had a "one night stand" about 6...

What are the odds? [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I the other night kind of fooled around, and after a while she wanted to have sex. She had never had it before so her hymen wasn't broken. Well anyway it hurt too much for her so we stopped. I didn't have a condom and she wasn't on the pill. So I was wondering what were the odds...

View more questions Search