Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Superbug?Do you know?
    What is this "superbug".

I just saw a news flash,could not hear the details, but it seems that the dress code for health professionals in the UK will be more strict due to this superbug.

I am not sure what it is about, does anyone else know what this is?

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 01:01 PM
    It's MRSA, Methacillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. A mean little bug if you ask me. I had it 3 years ago and my 5 year old had it this summer.

You can read about it here

MRSA Superbug More Prevalent Than First Thought - New Survey
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
    I think they are referring to the antibiotic resistant string of viruses that are cropping up...
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
    It is an antibiotic resistant strain of a staph infection. It used to be found only in hospitals, but has now cropped up among the general population and can be an extremely serious infection.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Or, what J said... LOL

I heard it was starting to attack healthy people now too...
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Thanks,

But why does the hospital dress code have anything to do with it OR are they talking about "cleaner" and not stricter dress code?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
    The way were going we'll be back to the 18th centaury before we know it. Have to get round to developing some new antibiotics some time soon...

Ahh the joys of selection and evolution.

They should definitely tighten up the dress codes. Down with the petri dish ties! We also need to improve hospital hygiene so decrease infections spreading. Get those mops out!

It's absolutely stupid, everyone was so in love with the wonderkund antibiotics they forgot about basic nursing and hygiene. It's all well and great researching cancer cures and employing hundreds of pounds an hour consultants but if you cut back on sweepers and cleaners then it's all completely useless. Very short sighted indeed.

Talking about regressing did you know they are using ultra pure honey in wounds to lyse the bacteria just like the old days. Genius - there is hope yet.

Wow kind of went off on one there... sorry guys I feel calmer now
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    The way were going we'll be back to the 18th centaury before we know it. Have to get round to developing some new antibiotics some time soon....

Ahh the joys of selection and evolution.

They should definitely tighten up the dress codes. Down with the petri dish ties! We also need to improve hospital hygiene so decrease infections spreading. Get those mops out!

It's absolutely stupid, everyone was so in love with the wonderkund antibiotics they forgot about basic nursing and hygiene. It's all well and great researching cancer cures and employing hundreds of pounds an hour consultants but if you cut back on sweepers and cleaners then it's all completely useless. Very short sighted indeed.

Talking about regressing did you know they are using ultra pure honey in wounds to lyse the bacteria just like the old days. Genius - there is hope yet.

Wow kinda went off on one there... sorry guys I feel calmer now
    Love hearing everyone's thoughts anytime,anywhere...
    So keep sharing.:)
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Love hearing everyones thoughts anytime,anywhere...
    so keep sharing.:)
    You shouldn't say that I really don't need the encouragment! :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Lol... this is one of the reasons my pediatrician refuses to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, he likes to give the body the opportunity to cure itself first... he also tries to rotate any antibiotics, so my son doesn't become resistant to one or the other... Ive stopped using antibiotic soaps in my home as well..

*edit **i mean antibacterial soap... LOL. I left in in there so you could all see the status of my mind at the moment... :D
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    lol...this is one of the reasons my pediatrician refuses to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, he likes to give the body the opportunity to cure itself first...he also tries to rotate any antibiotics, so my son doesnt become resistant to one or the other...Ive stopped using antibiotic soaps in my home as well..
    How I wish there were more of those type of Docs than the so in love with antibio... :eek: Docs.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Alkaline you don't need to worry about antibacterial soaps they can't become resistant to these they work in a different way. Antibiotics have to target the organism specifically and ignore your cells so are easier to evolve out of the way.

Whereas antibacterial soaps just kill cells, they contain detergents which disrupt the cell walls. You can't use them for medicine because (as you'll know) they'll kill you too if you gave them I.V. or ate them!
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Oh I thought I read somewhere that the antibacterial soaps were making it harder for our bodies to fight off infections, because we were so use to sterile environments... they say that a little contamination is actually good for us, builds our immunity... maybe I heard wrong...
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Ahh! My brain went down totally the wrong path because I was thinking about MRSA.

Yeah, you are right, a too sterile environment will decrease the immune systems 'library' of bugs, leaving it open to more serious infections at a later date. Also it is thought that a decrease in environmental 'challanges' from various nasties is increasing autoimmune diseases - the body not having anything alien to attack attacks itself. This is one theory proposed for the raise in childhood asthma.

Never thought to get rid of antibacterial soaps myself. Still think they are a good idea after handling raw meat - nut how often would a wee one do that anyway?

I was a dirty child used to eat stuff off trees so I must have an immune system of steal by now! Well I don't have asthma anyway.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    Ahh! My brain went down totally the wrong path because I was thinking about MRSA.

Yeah, you are right, a too sterile environment will decrease the immune systems 'library' of bugs, leaving it open to more serious infections at a later date. Also it is thought that a decrease in environmental 'challanges' from various nasties is increasing autoimmune diseases - the body not having anything alien to attack attacks itself. This is one theory proposed for the raise in childhood asthma.

Never thought to get rid of antibacterial soaps myself. Still think they are a good idea after handling raw meat - nut how often would a wee one do that anyway?

I was a dirty child used to eat stuff off trees so I must have an immune sytem of steal by now! Well I don't have asthma anyway.
    Oh I still use it in my kitchen, but no longer in my bathroom sink and I don't use that hand sanitizer any longer, we just wash our hands the regular way...
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
    What is this "superbug".

I just saw a news flash,could not hear the details, but it seems that the dress code for health professionals in the UK will be more strict due to this superbug.

I am not sure what it is about, does anyone else know what this is?

Thanks

By bug they mean microbe.

Staphylococcus is one of many bacteria that are becoming more resistant to a lot of antibiotics.

Steptococcus and mycobacterium tuberculus are other examples.

Staph and strep also normally live on our skin and nose, and normally do not cause illness unless there is a break in the skin.

ALL viruses are resistant to antibiotics as antibiotics refer to antibacterials.

The new dress code [ gloves, masks, hand washing before and after seeing an infected patient ] is to cut down on and prevent transmission of this "superbug" to other patients and hospital staff.

Grace and Peace
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Okay, to clear this up. We were talking about MRSA, and the best doctors try to let the bodies defenses build before giving an antibiotic. For MRSA, though, we have super drugs called Vancomycin, Clinodmycin, and Gentomycin (forgive my spelling of the drugs, my drug book is in my backpack in the trunk of the car). Little J's MRSA was cured this summer with Septra. So all that has to be done is a simple C&S (culture & sensitivity) to find out what the bacteria is immune to, and what will kill it. (I loved doing these tests in Microbiology).

Now, as far as the antibacterial soap goes. Yes, keep it out of the bathroom. Our bodies have something referred to as "normal flora" that we do not want to get rid of. Ridding our bodies of our normal flora opens us up to infections.

As for the antibacterial in the kitchen. It's best not to use it if you are on a septic system. You see, our septic systems (here in the US) are full of E-Coli. Yes, you got it E-Coli bacteria that helps bio degrade our waste products and keep our septic system clean. RidX or Brewers Yeast that we put in our septic systems monthly work in conjunction with the E-Coli to keep our septic systems clean. Now, when you use antibacterial soap with a septic system, the antibacterial properties kill the necessary bacteria in our septic tanks therefore leaving our systems open for lots of problems.

I know, I'm full of useless information. But I learned this all from my wonderful microbiology professor. Since I quit using antibacterial soap and using GermX instead, I have had fewer health problems with the kids and my septic system runs as smooth as butter. LOL
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Inthebox,
    Thanks for explaining the dress code thing, I was wondering what it meant when they said strict dress code(I wondered, suits like the astronauts!).
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    The new dress code [ gloves, masks, hand washing before and after seeing an infected patient ] is to cut down on and prevent transmission of this "superbug" to other patients and hospital staff.
    Yes, yes, yes. In the hospital we call it uniform precautions, droplet precautions, or airborn precautions.
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Inthebox,
    Thanks for explaining the dress code thing, I was wondering what it meant when they said strict dress code(I wondered, suits like the astronauts!).
    **giggle**

It means a gloves, mask, and in some cases gowns, hairnets and shoe covers. It is for the protection of the patients (if we are sick) and protection of us and other patients if we are caring for someone who is ill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search