Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crown55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2011, 05:36 AM
    How soon can a new born baby travel by air?
    How soon after birth will a baby be allowed to travel a 6hour non-stop flight from Lagos to UK?. My husband and I (both British Passport holders) have decided to have our baby in Nigeria as I am now pregnant.We intend to bring our baby back to UK with us as we reside permanently in the UK.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2011, 05:57 AM
    It is often suggested to wait until about 6 weeks... mostly for baby's immune system to be stronger. If you are having vaccinations, this will allow a series to already be given.

The 6 weeks also allows you time to have your postpartum check-up. It is very important that you be sure to move about during the trip. While sitting, rotate your feet and pump them up and down now and then. Get up and walk the aisle every hour or two if possible. You are at an increased risk for blood clotting after having given birth recently. Drink plenty of water or juice while onboard.

Young babies are easy travelers... :) They aren't trying to get out of their seats or need to get down... and they sleep much of the time. Ask about bulk head seating to allow you more space in front of you. Some airlines will require baby to be in an approved infant seat, or they may offer a bassinet that attaches to the bulk head.

It will be very helpful to be sure to feed baby during the take off and landing to help with ear pressure. If you are breastfeeding you don't have to worry about how much liquid you can bring onboard. If you have bottles, check with the airline you will be flying with for their requirements. Often small quantities of liquid in a bottle are allowed.

Helpful note... if you are breastfeeding, a few drops of breakmilk in baby's nose can help with the dryness that often occurs when flying.

Also a good idea to bring a change, or two, of clothing for baby and an extra top for yourself in your carry-on in case of spit-ups... :)
    busydaycarelady Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
    I believe that a healthy baby can travel by air as young as 1 week old, however I think most doctors would like a person to wait until their baby is 4 weeks old to fly on an airplane.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An slovakia and born my baby in ireland?1wk ago is my baby irish [ 1 Answers ]

I am slovakia and I have lived in ireland for 2years , can my son get irish citizen or slovakia citizen if I deliver my baby in 2months time in ireland

Is it my baby before born? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend took a clear blue pregnancy test because she's been experiencing all the symptoms like itchy tender breasts, fatigued, and unusually hungry at times.. she says it would be about 3 weeks along but it kind of looks like she might be a little more along than she's saying.. I...

Citizenship for new born baby [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US from last six month for job purpose on L1 visa with family and planning to go India next year. My wife has delivered Baby Boy last week. Now I have lot questions related to citizenship of new born baby. I don't know should I take for him US citizenship or dual citizenship. ...

Custody of a new born baby? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend just broke up with me and I am due July 2nd with his baby but he is mean and drinks and I don't think that he should have any rights how do I go through with this situation.:confused:

View more questions Search