Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biologynerd311 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 08:05 AM
    AP Biology: Any ideas on how to make a Working Plant Model?
    Hey guys,
    I'm really stuck on what to do for my project. I know all the parts of a plant stem, but the really tricky part to this project is making a model of a plant stem that actually has a working xylem and phloem. My teacher said to start with a straw, but that advice hasn't really helped me much. I'm not looking to cheat off this website, but I was wondering if anybody had any helpfl tips from past experience.
    Thanks!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
    The phloem might be easier as the liquid you'll use as the 'food' will go down easily without effort. As for the xylem though, I'd suggest you try to get hold of some manual pump, or something like that, you know? Like some rubber ball which you press and it deflates, releasing air? If you can fit something like that at the roots and fill it with water, you could squish the 'pump' so that water flows upwards :)

Nov 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
    See, I'd do that but it has to be as close to working like a plant without help as possible. Yesterday I tried coffee filters for the xylem and I'm planning on using those, but I'm still stummped on the phloem. That's a great idea though,:)

Nov 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
    Ok, so Unknown008's idea gave me an idea for the phloem! *YAY for brain power!! * Does anyone know how to build some sort of pressure pump with tubing?? I was thinking of bending some of that aquarium tubimg into a U shape so that as the syrup goes up, gravity will help it come down the other side, but I somehow need to have it first come from a pool at the bottom of the model. Any more ideas are extremely helpful! Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2011, 03:41 AM
    Hmm, I don't know if that'll work, but maybe stuffing the straw with tissue [or cotton threads] (don't stuff it so that it's blocked though) and by capillary action, the water/syrup will slowly go up naturally (but very slowly)

Sort of like paper chromatography (upwards).

Nov 13, 2011, 06:39 AM
    See, I was thinking that. My dad said that maybe wicks would work, but I think it might be a little too slow for the time frame my partner and I are given. I'll try it though and let you know :)
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Well, for the display itself, you can soak it prior to starting, that way, the capillary action will start as soon as you want :)
    piyush wadhwani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 09:06 AM
    I think that a motor should be used to lift the water up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flowery plant that inks your hands any ideas? [ 6 Answers ]

Flowery plant that inks any ideas? Its to do with a name

Working model of thermal power plant? [ 0 Answers ]

I want the procedure and materials required to make thermal power plant model

Our biology teacher gave me an investigative progect. I wanted some ideas. [ 2 Answers ]

I want some ideas on biology investigative progects

Animal/Plant Cell Model Ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I am taking a night class to upgrade and it Bio 30. My teacher is asking us to do this huge project and I am completely stumped on ideas for one part of it. He wants us to build a model for either a Plant Cell or a animal cell. I have to include all the organelles etc, but I have no clue...

Plant biology [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please explain the structure and function of the various parts of plants, especially in angiosperms with particular reference to the xylem end phloem Thank you :)

View more questions Search