Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Door bell
    There is this 86 year old women that suffers from senility. The children
    Live in a rear additional. To the house. During the night they want to install a wired doorbell or buzzer that would summons them to their mother's room.
    Battery operated had been a problem in the distance and battery usage. This is in Honduras. C.A.

They do not mind running the wire. What do you suggest for this type of situation.
    I think wired doorbell gets it current from a transformer? I do not think the transformer comes with the doorbell or buzzer
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    There is this 86 year old women that suffers from senility. The children
    live in a rear additional. to the house. During the night they want to install a wired doorbell or buzzer that would summons them to their mother's room.
    Battery operated had been a problem in the distance and battery usage. This is in Honduras. C.A.

They do not mind running the wire. What do you suggest for this type of situation.
    I think wired doorbell gets it current from a transformer?

I'd recommend an electrician. This is too important to fool around with.

Why not a life alert (or similar) bracelet and/or necklace?
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Thank you so much
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Thank you so much

My mother lives alone. She finally had to make a decision after she tripped and fell, shattering her hip.

Wear a lifeline bracelet or get live-in help.

She chose the bracelet.

If there's an emergency the woman you are asking about would have to crawl to the doorbell. With a bracelet/necklace she always has a means of summoning you.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Sounds good. But in Honduras they are not that sophisticated .
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
    You could also use wired or wireless intercoms. And the one in the elderly lady's room could be set to a monitor setting such that they could hear her all the time-- unless privacy would be an issue. They would be able to hear her even if she couldn't get to a button to push or if she fell they might hear the sounds and know there was a problem without her even calling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
    They have high end wireless that should work fine, but, they sell door bell kits that have everything even the wire in them. You also have two way or or one way video with voice that is wired or wireless. You also have intercom systems, that will buss you or allow push and talk.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Use a wireless unit. Very easy to install and work great. No wires, just a battery which is built into the system. Do you have a Wal mart there? HD may be somewhere near.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Use a wireless unit. Very easy to install and work great. No wires, just a battery which is built into the system. Do you have a Wal mart there? HD may be somewhere near.

"Battery operated had been a problem in the distance and battery usage. This is in Honduras. C.A."
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    "Battery operated had been a problem in the distance and battery usage. This is in Honduras. C.A."
    Yes, I saw it was in Honduras. Notorious for power outages, that's why I suggested wireless. I have had a wireless bell for my shop for 2 yrs. Still have same batteries in transmitter and receiver. Cheap HD model.
    joey4029 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
    If the voltage in Hounduras is the same in U.S,110-130volts, you will need a transformer ,and a switch(push button) and ,of course your chime
    The transformer will have lead wires to connect to house junction box house current
    From there ,there are two screws (the low,24 volt side )
    The chime should be marked with the voltage needed and would match the rating on the transformer.
    You will likely get red and white low voltage bell wire from your local hardware
    It makes no difference on the colors,just that the current is broken at the switch
    Having installed lenths of 60 feet is not uncommon

Transformer black lead wires(2)-120volts to house current
    Chime RED-----------RED transformer low side (24 volts)
    RED transformer low side . (24 volts.)... terminal RED switch
    ChimeWHITE... terminal WHITE switch
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
    Is there a reason you could not use the same monitors new mothers use for their babies?

Something similar to this?

Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
    It would be best to get a transformer that plugs into an outlet. Still, it's really easy to connect it to the house wiring if you can't find a transformer with a plug. Just be sure to shut the power off while you're doing it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2012, 04:05 AM
    It would be best to get a transformer that plugs into an outlet. Still, it's really easy to connect it to the house wiring if you can't find a transformer with a plug. Just be sure to shut the power off while you're doing it.
    Are you answering your own question?
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Are you answering your own question?

Oh, good - I thought it was me. "What's with that?"
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2012, 06:20 AM
    Just wondering if they have plug in transformer for an outlet available in a kit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Door Bell [ 103 Answers ]

Hi, Have installed a new wired doorbell. (DESA) Heath/Zenith Model #LE-65-B. (Electronic) I also changed and added a new 16 Volt Xfrmer and a lighted pushbutton and a diode. After install, all worked fine including the "Lighted" pushbutton. I checked the bell a few hours later, it...

Door Bell [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone help me with wiring a doorbell. One button, with one bell upstair and one bell downstair. Thank you

Door bell wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced my front door bell because it kept going off without being pushed. When I removed the old one I noticed some type of diode or resistor thingy behind the button linking the two leads together. The new button did not come with this thingy. Now when I press the new button it...

Door bell wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what the circuit of a door bell (front lighted button) no back door bell, how it is wired with four wires. Two solid blue and two blue/white. Four each on the transformer ane four on the bell transdusher. Two on the button, front door. How does this work?

Door Bell Ringer [ 5 Answers ]

I move to this House, and the door bell sound more like a alarm than a door bell( is extremely loud and irritating). The ringer brand is bticino (model 382321 made in Italy). I been looking to change this one to a more easy to listen chime or bell. But everything I found is an external bell box....

View more questions Search