Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tylershawn00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Cry wolf after 5 months and refusely of medical attention?
    I was contacted by my insurance agency today(progressive). They informed me that a person I had re-ended had wanted more money than my policy had covered. My policy covers 25,000 bodily per person and wants 35,000.

My problem with this is, This happened over five months ago, and at the time of the incident he refused medical attention and drove off. I barley hit him no damage to either car. Also I'm No doctor but he seemed fine and not even the least bit shook up.

Farther more progressive has told me that this is not final there lawyers have not even looked at the claim yet and could all be settled within my policy limits, but when someone tells you that you could possibly be sued for 10,000 I start to get a little worried.I wondered IF they do decide To pay there 25,000 Would it be worth to fight the other 10,000.

Thank you for any input.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 02:40 PM

Let the insurance company continue to play with this. They don't really just give up $25K without looking closely at the claim. Do not worry just yet, the fat lady hasn't sung
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 05:55 PM

Several things

1. while yes this does seem like a scam, a lot of real ended injury can wait a day or two to show up. I kow the last time I was hit from the rear, I felt great that day, the next day I could not even get out of bed. I was OK in about 3 days but did have a trip to the ER, some meds and a couple days of missed work.

Yes, remember the insurance company is there for their protection, not yours, I would never agree personally without an attorney
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 07:22 PM

I'm a liability investigator. I have no idea what the person you hit is claiming by way of injury but whatever it is, he/she MUST have medical documentation.

Your insurance company has notified you so that you can arrange legal representation in the event the claim goes over your coverage. They have a legal responsibility to notify you that you could be personally liable for some portion of an award. Progressive is most definitely NOT picking on you.

You are carrying what appears to be the minimal personal injury policy - a very dangerous thing to do to save a few dollars.

Time will tell what the claim is worth. In the meantime, I'd contact an Attorney and watch/wait how this plays out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 08:26 PM

I will add for the others who read this, almost never in seroius accidents is MIM coverage enough.

Often it is 25,000 for liablity and 50,000 for property damage.

You hit a Porse or perhaps a hummer and you are over the limit on the first car, you have a multi car wreck and you are out fast.

Let 3 people be in a car and just go into the ER for one day and it can easy be over 25,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I cry? [ 13 Answers ]

I recently found out my wife has been having an affair. I had expected it for quite a while. It has been two months now sense I found out and I can't cry. I am very depressed; scared; hurt; mad; every emotion I can think of but no tears. I don't try to make myself cry or stress over it. I...

When should I seek medical attention when experience bleeding after intercourse? [ 1 Answers ]

After intercourse, I have experienced bleeding. This has been happening for the paste couple of months. Just recently, I experienced heavy bleeding and it has been happening for about two days. I have made an appointment with my doctor, however it is not for another week. I am wondering if it is...

HELP! Should I seek medical attention for a deep cut [ 4 Answers ]

I was washing a glass and while my hand was in it, I cut it when a piece of the glass popped right off and sheered into my hand above the thumb knuckle. The flap of skinn immediately turned white and of course bleed. I wrapped it and kept pressure on it. However I clearly took off all layers, the...

View more questions Search