Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miss Torres Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Inheritance money will I be taxed for living in another state
    Hi. I recently inherited some money from a home which my mother sold as part of our inheritance (4) children. The problem is that the property is located in Puerto rico and my mother has just informed me that her lawyer said we will not be able to claim the money until this coming year tax return (2006). I do not see how that can be legal. I believed if it is inheritance money and my mother has already paid the property taxes on the home when she sold it why should I and my other brothers have to file this inheritance money with out next tax returns. Is this legal? How can I go about this a smooth and none confrontational court matter? Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2006, 09:38 PM
    You probably will not pay taxes on the value of the house at the time of the inheritance, but rather you will pay taxes (at capital gains rates) on the amount that the house increased in value from the date of the inheritance to the day it was sold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in China state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I will be living in China for most of the year, the rest of the year I will stay with my family in Pennsylvania. I am retiring from the school system and they want me to file state tax. When I go what do I do about Georgia state taxes from my retirement? Do I have to pay state taxes in Georgia if...

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

Living in NY state, company based in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I guess I have a similar question posed by one of the member, but in a reversed order. I live in NY, but my company is based in NJ. I work for a consulting firm and currently my project is based in NY state. My company has been deducting NJ taxes for past 1 yr. 1) I am confused right...

NY State tax filing living in NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I stayed in NJ for the whole of year 2005. I received income for December 2005 from Hawthorne, NY. It is below 7,500$. I have enclosed both nj and ny w2 for federal taxes and filed NJ state tax as well. Do I have to file for NY state taxes too? Thanks, Diwakar By the way, my w2...

Inheritance taxed offshore? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a Calif. US resident with UK citizenship. I'm inheriting $20k in the UK. Will it be taxed if I deposit it here in CA? If so, will it be taxed if I keep it in the UK or elsewhere offshore? Looking for best way to manage funds.

View more questions Search