Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brandee1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Scholarship for the child of a felon.
    Is there any program out there for the children of felons? I am 35 year old single mom, wanting to go back to school part-time. The federal financial aid that I was awarded is not nearly enough for book AND school. The whole reason I went back to school in the first place is because I don't make enough money, so paying out of my pocket for school expenses has been difficult. Is there any relief? Obviously, my Dad didn't save anything in a college fund for me while he was in prison, and mom was busy supporting three kids... and barley making it... No college fund from her either. HELP... I just want to change the cycle of our family and be the first college graduate. :eek: Please I am begging for help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
    First as a adult, your dads income or status has no bearing at all on student loans or grants, and there are no special aid because someone decided to be a criminal. There are loans, grants and scholarships available, depending at your age on your income and credit. You should talk to the finicial aid department for the college you wish to go to.
    Brandee1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Well, it surly had an impact on me as a teen graduating form high school. Do you think college was even an option? NO, I had to work. I am not a criminal, my father was, and that made everything very difficult on us.
    loves libraries Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2012, 12:03 PM
    She said she wants to be the first college graduate in her family. You should have told her about funding programs for people who would be the first in their family to to to college.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

View more questions Search