Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gameface Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
    2 Questions on Intrductory Period Employment
    Is it legal for a company offering immediate benefits to declare their new hires on probative period as part-time employees though they are working full-time hours? Is that done so the new hires, supposedly part-timers, do not get expensive benefit coverage for the duration of the introductory period? What does the law say about that?

When is a new employee on a 3-month introductory (probative) period supposed to be informed about its negative outcome? Is 5 days after the completion of the period lawful?

Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Hello game:

Unless you are a member of a union, or have an employment contract, the LAW says you are an "at will" employee.

That means you can be fired for any reason at all at any time. It also means that a company can offer benefits to anyone for any reason, or to nobody for no reason... If they don't want to give benefits to probationary employees, then they don't have to. Calling them something that they're not has nothing to do with that.

An employee does not need to be informed about ANYTHING, ever. He can be fired BEFORE or AFTER the probationary period, and he can be fired for ANY reason at all. He can be fired if the boss doesn't like the color of his tie.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Period questions [ 2 Answers ]

OK I'm 15 and I started having my period right before I turned 14 and it was irregular of course I was having it like every two or three months but then a little less than a year ago and I lost some weight and was constantly exercising and my period stopped and it still didn't come back again I'm...

Self Employment tax [ 4 Answers ]

If you owe self employment taxes based on your Schedule C is that payment included in your total tax liability or is it paid separately?

Had my first period and need some questions answered [ 16 Answers ]

Igot my first period today and had a lot of blood. I was really freaked out at first. I called my mom and she told me to use a pad. (She's at work). I am kind of worried though. There is A LOT of blood and it isn't really... coming out. It is just there. I am worried this could be bad. I have to...

Employment Law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in AZ, a right to work state. I need to know if I earned 2 weeks vacation but quit am I still entitled to receive that money?

View more questions Search