Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gretsky21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 PM
    We want to terminate our building lease that we signed for 3 years
    We signed a commercial building lease for 3 years and this June it will be one year. Our rent is 1250 monthly and we are having trouble making our rent due to business income. We are thinking of closing our small business only 1 year into the lease. Can we be sued over the remainding two years?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2014, 12:08 PM
    Unless you can work something out with the LL, if you walk away you can, and most likely, will be sued. $30,000 is a lot to leave on the table
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 20, 2014, 12:57 PM
    Why would you think you couldn't be sued?

It is customary to negotiate a buyout of some amount of months, but the landlord can ignore any attempts at negotiation. But suing can be expensive for them, and it's way over the Small Claims limit. And there's no guarantee they will ever collect, even if they win. So a smart landlord negotiates, and a smart renter does too.

Go in with an offer. Offer to show your books or tax return and bank statement. Don't whine about about business failure - it's all just finances. I'd try for 3 more months paid over 6 months. Tell them that you will file for bankruptcy otherwise.

If you think that you could stay in business at 600 rent, try some REALLY clever negotiating. You could be month to month, evictable at any time, etc. An empty building costs them money, aside from a tax write off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I signed a lease and the landlord signed the lease. Now he does not want to rent it [ 3 Answers ]

I sign a lease and the landlord signed the lease now he say he doesn't want to rent it to me, can he do that

I have a 5 yr lease w 2 yrs gone by can the landlord all of a sudden terminate lease? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr lease w 2 yrs gone by can the landlord all of a sudden terminate lease?

I have never signed a written lease or never signed a verbal lease agreement.. [ 5 Answers ]

I been staying in my home for a year now.. landlord never told me how much rent I was paying... I never signed a lease or a verbel agreement about how much rent was... my landlord never came and fix anything in the home... I paid for everything to be fix... such as windows... rewiring the electric...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Roommate's attempt to terminate co-signed lease [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate backed out of our co-signed lease two weeks before the lease's commencement. Can she force me to find or accept a subletter or is she still liable to pay her half the rent?

View more questions Search