Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benarnold65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2003, 05:12 PM
    "Help"
    When I attempt to go to "Help"(after clicking on Start) I get a box with the message: "Helpcntr has caused an error in HELPCENTER.EXE. Helpcenter will now close"
    Thus : I cannot "get to" the Help.
    I have Windows ME, plenty of RAM, and have never had this problem before.
    Thanks for any help.
    Dave
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2003, 11:52 AM
    "Help"
    Hi,
    I'm not sure this will correct the problem, but it sounds like a Registry problem.

Here are steps to run the Microsoft Registry Checker, if you wish to do so:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

I wish you good luck,
    Fredg
    Sparda Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2004, 06:46 PM
    "Help"
    Well if you think it's the registry I think it will be the actual files for exampel it says "Helpcntr has caused an error in HELPCENTER.EXE. Helpcenter will now close" in windows this could mean any thing (Once I got a servises error on server 2000 and it said to look at the error log for further details and the only extra thing it was that it was caused by services.exe unsuprizily, so esentialy windows said there was a error but it didn't know what the error was or it didn't tell you what the error was, so the problem went unresolvd and I installed FreeBSD on my server.) any way I digres, I beleve that helpcntr is shal we call it a prgoram that runs "under" helpcenter so you never know it's there, ut it is a crucial part into the running of the helpcenter SO if it's become damged or corrut then there's nothing you can do except don't use help (or reinstall windows), if your looking for some thing use Google, it's much, better hope I helped :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search