Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hurley_0225 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
    How to tell if my cat is pregnant
    My cat is less than a year old and is not fixed. She usually stays outside, but we recently moved and now she will not go outside. She use to not want to love on people but she does now. She always gets in my face and rubs her head against mine. Her nipples have got pinker and her belly is getting harder and a little bigger. She always follows me around meowing and rubbung my legs. She use to sleep with me of a night time and now she hides and sleeps. She is always roaming around the house. She has been eating more. And she use to not want to be around my 3 year old son and now sometimes she sleeps with him. Can someone tell me if it sounds like she is pregnant.
    Hurley_0225 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 01:29 PM
    What to look for in a pregnant cat?
    Is it true to look for a pouch right below her tummy? Is it suppose to be squishy or hard? Can someone tell me signs in a cats pregnancy? Her nipples have got pink, but not a lot bigger. Does anyone know signs of cats being pregnant?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 03:11 PM
    What is below is quoted from the following site. Signs a Cat is Pregnant

Lesson 3 Part 1: Signs a Cat is Pregnant

If your cat was in heat and had access to a tom (unneutered male) cat, the likelihood that she is pregnant is very strong. A pregnant queen will show both physical and personality changes which will become more evident around three weeks after breeding. The gestation period for cats runs from 60 to 67 days. I like to use 63 days as an average, because it is easier to equate with human gestation (nine weeks vs nine months).

Physical Changes in a Pregnant Cat

Heat Cycles Cease

This will be the first sign you may notice. If your female cat has been suffering heat cycles every 10 days to two weeks, and suddenly stops, it is very likely she is pregnant.

Nipples Swell and Become Rosier in Color

Breeders call this "pinking," and it may be the first physical sign you will see.

Increased Appetite

Your pregnant cat will show an increased interest in food. After all, she is not only eating for herself, but for several foetuses.

Possible Vomiting

Pregnant queens may be subject to a few bouts of "morning sickness," much as human mothers-to-be. This in itself is not cause for alarm, but if it continues or is frequent, veterinarian intervention is needed.

Abdominal Enlargement

Sometime around the fifth week of pregnancy, your pregnant cat's abdomen will start to swell noticeably, and it will continue to enlarge until time for birthing.

Personality Changes in a Pregnant Cat

Increased Affection

Your cat may become more affectionate than normal and frequently seek out your attention. By all means, give it to her!

"Nesting" Activities

This is not an early sign of pregnancy, but as the time for partruition (birth) approaches, your pregnant cat may seek out quiet, private places for birth to take place.

Clinical Diagnosis of Pregnancy in Cats

If your queen has had regular veterinary care, and the previous signs of pregnancy are evident, it may not be necessary to have an "official" diagnosis by a veterinarian, unless you have reason to fear something is wrong. However (and this is a big consideration), if your intent is to spay her, it is probably better that your veterinarian knows exactly what to expect.

Palpation

Your veterinarian may be able to feel fetuses by palpating (feel by gently pressing) your queen's abdomen, usually around the 17th-20th day of pregnancy.

Ultrasound

This diagnostic tool may detect fetuses as early as the second week of pregnancy, and heartbeats may be detected sometime after the third week.
    If your resident (or rescued) cat is indeed confirmed pregnant, some serious decision-making time is at hand. See the next article in this series for help with that decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Pregnant cat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi mi cat got pregnant on the 16 of August and was wondering when she will have her kittens?

Pregnant Cat [ 2 Answers ]

My cat is about 7 weeks pregnant and I think she is showing signs of labor but I'm not sure :confused: she came in the other day and her belly looked as if it had shrunk but she hasn't had the kittens as you can still feel them. She is also panting and walking around a lot this has been happening...

Pregnant cat? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 2 year old cat that I caught mating with my nieghbors cat I think she is pregnant. It has been a month and three weeks since then and her nipples became large and deep pink but she does not show in her stomach at all :confused: . She eats three times more than she did before and became very...

View more questions Search