Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BBags_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 05:12 PM
    4 wires to 3
    I just took down a ceiling fan and am going to put up a overhead light fixture. It has 4 wires coming out of the ceiling box-1 ground wire, 1 white wire, and 2 black wires(1 with silver, one with copper wire). The light fixture has a ground wire and 2 other wires(without any color designation) which are only referred to as supply wires in the direction. Can someone please help me in making these connections?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Some light fixtures give you a white wire that is connected to outside of the bulb socket. In other cases, they are both black. Connect one to the white wire. Connect the other to the 2 black wires if they were connected together before. Connect all the grounds and greens together and to the box.

How old is your house? About 40 years ago, they tried aluminum in residential wire and found out it wasn't a good idea. Try scraping the silver wire with a knife. If it is aluminum, it will be noticeably softer than copper. If it is tinned copper, you may be able to scrape down to the copper, sometimes not. Tinned copper isn't that common. I am not sure if you have to replace aluminum wiring, but it takes special connectors if not. Best post a question on the silver wire to our E&L forum, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum/...play.php?f=105 and let our master electrician give you an exacting answer. I pride myself on my DIY knowledge, and part of it knowing when to call in a pro. We have a number of excellent ones here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

3 wires to 2 wires [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a chandelier from IKEA which came with 3 wires, - black, white, and green/yellow striped. The green/yellow stiped wire is reconnected to the chandelier and then there is a loose end as well. The house is only wired with 2 wires, black and white. What is the green/yellow striped...

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

Thermostat wires [ 4 Answers ]

Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search