Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnclimber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
    15 amp air conditioner and a 20 amp outlet
    I'm thinking of buying a 230/15 amp air conditioner to replace an older one. The current connection is 230/20 amp. What do I need to do to make this work?
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 10, 2009, 02:56 PM

Should be able to just plug the new a/c into your outlet with out changing anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 04:34 PM

Perhaps change the plug if it is a different type or style.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 09:49 AM

A 20 amp breaker will not protect a 15 amp unit.
    Change breaker to 15amp.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

View more questions Search