Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wrangler1120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Engine turns over but won't start
    Hello, having a problem with my 1997 Jeep wrangler

Jeep died on Saturday. Won't start so we tow it to my cousin's house where we are trying to diagnose the problem. The engine turns over but won't start. My first guess was the fuel pump, so we jumped the relay and it works. Tried starting the truck while doing that but it still won't start. Next I checked the ignition switch, not that. Thought maybe my PCM (cpu) was going, so I swapped mine into my buddies 97 Jeep and his truck started fine, so it's not my computer.
    Checked the ignition coil, and it's not getting power. (Checked the voltage to the IC, and its grounded on both sides). I checked ALL fuses and relays and they are all fine.

Aside, none of my gauges work on the instrument cluster and the check engine light is not on, nor does it come on when I turn the key to run or start to crank the motor. Tried to get the codes using the on-off-on-off-on method but no blinking check engine light. Tried using a code scanner which powers up, but I get a link error. So, again I put my PCM into my buddies jeep and read cpu and got no engine codes.

Basically, I'm stumped. Been posting around on various other automotive forums but haven't got a definite answer. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and might be able to direct me where else to check. If not ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2006, 11:00 AM
    First, I would thoroughly checked out the main relay? On some cars a dead main relay = no spark. Second, I would focus on the ignition switch. That could explain why your instrument panel doesn't light up. Third, I would ensure the integrity of the ECU's main ground and that the ECU is getting power. Fourth, if your Jeep has a MAP sensor, I would check the reference and signal voltages going to the MAP sensor connector. Fifth, I would check out the MAP sensor. Bad MAP sensors, on some cars, can prevent spark and fuel.
    wrangler1120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Crankshaft position sensor in case anyone needs help with a similar problem since you guys were soooo helpful...
    brandonac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 04:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    Crankshaft position sensor in case anyone needs help with a similiar problem since you guys were soooo helpful...
    Hi I'm having troble with my wrangler... no spark where is the crank sensor and can you do it yourself. Do you clean it or buy a new one..
    Thanks in advance guys
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 08:17 AM

brandonac, the Crankshaft Position Sensor is located right next to the crankshaft pulley. Buy a new one--easy to replace yourself. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, before beginning work.
    brandonac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    brandonac, the Crankshaft Position Sensor is located right next to the crankshaft pulley. Buy a new one--easy to replace yourself. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, before beginning work.
    No problem mate thanks heaps for that... do you think the crank sensor would be the reason that its turning over but not starting.. no spark no fuel...
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 03:11 PM

Depending on the year of your Wrangler, the answer is yes.
    crackedshaft Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    Crankshaft position sensor in case anyone needs help with a similiar problem since you guys were soooo helpful...
    I had THE Same issues as you did with my 97 Wrangler. Everything you experienced, I experienced. Aside from the non-starting issue, I also had the lack of response from the gauges to the non-operational diagnostics. I also changed my CPS (crank position sensor) and it fixed the Jeep.

Dec 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    On a Jeep, the CPS is on the transmission bellhousing. If you are standing in the back of the Jeep looking at the back of the engine, the sensor is at the 11 o clock position on the bellhousing, held on either by a bolt or two bolts. Hope this helps.

Dec 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonac View Post
    no problem mate thanks heaps for that... do you think the crank sensor would be the reason that its turning over but not starting.. no spark no fuel...
    Yes
    heplmyjeep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 12:41 PM
    My 1998 Jeep wouldn't start,but turned over and didn't have any gauges show up when it was turned on. No spark to coil so I replaced it still not starting checked the fuses, but missed the one to the computer it's a 15 amp it was blown because of some worn wires on my sensor taped up the wires and replaced the fuse. Started right up.
    mmklein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
    I have a similar problem with my car turning over but not starting. I already replaced the Camshaft (front) but I haven't done the back one. When I replaced the front one, it seemed to get a little better but it's still not quite right. Do you think if I replaced the back one that it would fix my problem? I am working on a 2005 Nissan Murano.
    SGT Delta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
    My 97 Sahara won't start either. CPS is a year old, battery, spark plugs, coil, fuel pump are all new. I turn the key and I get no fuel of volt reading. If I would try 5 or 6 times both meters would move, but would not give an accurate reading and the jeep would start find. But after resetting the computer (disconnecting the battery's negative pol) it stopped doing that.

I'm only a bigginer DIYer, someone mentioned a coil and a MAP sensor. Can you explain where is the coil? I can Google where the MAP sensor is and all that, but I suspect it being the ignition key or something like a coil that is not powering the everything like it should.

Imagine that I even unplugged all of the plugs that connect to the computer (ECU), tried starting the jeep and it acted exactly the same way. So in reality, the ECU is not doing its job, either because it's defective or not getting power.

Any thoughts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 civic engine cranks but it won't start! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92 civic dx manual with 188k miles My son drove it to School had it towed home. The engine cranks over but it won’t start. I’m not getting fuel over to the fuel rail. I have no pressure. I got no problem codes. Check engine light never came on.

Lawn tractor engine won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I've already swapped out the solenoid. No luck. Battery is good. I "think" I checked all the ground connections and safety switches. Problem is when the key is turned on the engine turns once... then slows to a stop... it may go over again.. but it won't go long or fast enough to start......

91 honda civic si turns over but does not start. [ 1 Answers ]

My 91 honda civic si turns over but does not start. It just cut off on me while crossing a intersection and won't cut back on. I have spark and fuel is being delivered correctly. I checked all my fuses and they are all fine also. My cam shaft isn't broken and the timing belt is still on. What else...

89 Civic swapped engine will not start. Read sticky [ 16 Answers ]

I will try to keep this short. I have had this 89 hatchback civic for many years. My brother drove it and had the head gasket replaced. After this it always smoked a lot.This was about 5 years ago so it has been sitting. I found a 90 wagon model donor car with a bad tranny and decided to buy it and...

Murray 12.5 Commercial Mower - Briggs Engine - Won't Start/Turn [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm mowing my back yard with my Murray lawn tractor. I brought it back to the garage and parked it, went inside to cool off, and when I went back out to put it back into the garage, it wouldn't start. I turned the key, and got nothing. The lights work, the battery is charged to 100%,...

View more questions Search