Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Modification in Massachusetts ~ paying for 2 and 1 no longer in school
    I have been divorced for 16 years, both of us have remarried and I have 2 additional children with current wife. My ex has no additional children and her financial situation has greatly improved although she only works PT.

What can I expect from the courts on a modification to get support reduced due to;

- I was paying for 2 children (twins) and one is no longer a student (went one semester) and has joined the service. The other child is in school and is part of ROTC and is getting his education paid for 100%. He is also working a PT job. They are both 19 years old.
    -I would also like to claim the student on my taxes as my ex has been able to claim both for 16 years.

Would any consideration been given to the fact that my wife was recently laid off but we are still maintaining health benefits through COBRA?

Would the courts impute her salary seeing that my ex has only worked PT for the last 16 years?

There is no stipulation in divorce decree regarding secondary education.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 02:56 PM

You certainly have grounds to revisit the support arrangement. Have your lawyer request a modification hearing. If nothing else, you should not be paying support on the child that is supporting himself.

No consideration should be made about your wife being laid off. Its not her support.
    BillG34 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 07:07 PM

Do you have a settlement agreement? If so, check your divorce agreement for a definition of "emancipation" of a child. Typically in MA you will see emancipation defined as age 18 unless the child is enrolled full-time in college and principally dependent upon the custodial parent. Also entry into the military service is a standard emancipating event... You may have grounds to have the court find the child/ren "emancipated" within the definition in your agreement or order.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 18, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    You certainly have grounds to revisit the support arrangement. Have your lawyer request a modification hearing. If nothing else, you should not be paying support on the child that is supporting himself.

No consideration should be made about your wife being laid off. Its not her support.
    There may be a variable in here. The consideration becomes the amount being paid to health insurance because it falls under COBRA. In typical situations employers pay for most if not all health insurance costs of a plan. Under COBRA your allowed for a limited time to buy into that plan but also bear the full cost. So it may fall into the calculation depending on the cost of the plan and if that's what they are using to cover the children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you graduate high school quick without paying for it [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way that is cheap to graduate high school?

Single mom trying to paying for school [ 2 Answers ]

I live in East Texas. I have a baby due in 6 weeks. I want to start going to college in the spring but need help paying for school. What is available for me?

Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down [ 5 Answers ]

If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

Child Support Modification/Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

I am going back for an increase in child support (Massachuetts). My ex is remarried for the third time and has shared physical custody of his two older daughters from his first marriage, age 18 and 16; neither parent pays support. 1) How much of his wife's income can be considered for my daughters...

View more questions Search