Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Animals aren't disposable
    Hi everyone. I hope that my title caught your eye enough for you to read my post. First of let me tell you that I live in Canada, to be specific Edmonton, Alberta. I have an abundance of pets, most of which were given to me by people who no longer wanted them or we adopted them from the Edmonton Humane Society (SPCA). I do however have two pets that were purchased from a pet store, this was before I became a regular visitor at the SPCA, I will never purchase from a pet store again. My list of pets is:

2 dogs
    3 rabbits
    1 bird
    1fish

I would love to adopt more but I’m running out of room.

So what is the purpose of my post you ask? Well, I check the SPCA website everyday, specifically to check on a dog named Boots. We adopted our 2nd rabbit around 8 months ago, Boots was at the pound when we went there, and he is still there today. Boots is an 8-year-old border collie cross, his specifics are not listed on the site as they are updating it but I know them all too well. Boots cannot be in a household with other pets or small children (under 16 years old) he would do best with an older childless couple. Boots is 8 years old so he’s lived more life than he has left and has spent at least 8 months (that I know of) at the pound. When you look into Boots eyes you see a dog that has lost all hope, why bother looking cute and wagging your tail, most people just pass him by to look at the puppies or younger dogs. Boots needs a home that is why I’m writing this.

Let me just say that the Edmonton Humane Society does a wonderful job, most of their funds come from donations, most of their staff are volunteers. There is an overabundance of animals coming in everyday; they all need to find their forever homes. Please help.

If you are looking for a pet please, please, do not impulse buy, always research the pet that you are adopting, never ever get a pet because “Oooh, it’s soooooo cute!”. All puppies, kittens, bunnies etc. grow up. All animals have behavior problems when they are young, they need us to teach them what is acceptable in our world, through love and patience. If you adopt an animal make sure that you can commit to keeping the animal for it’s whole life span, if you have even a tiny doubt than do not adopt the animal. Have all your pets spayed or neutered, leave the breeding up to the breeders, there are too many unwanted pets in the world. Please, these animals cannot help themselves, it is up to all of us animal lovers to put a stop to this.

Anyway, my main concern is Boots, if you live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and are looking for a dog (or any pet for that matter) and you fit the criteria please consider Boots as a pet. I would like to know that his last few years on this earth are spent in his forever home with loving arms around him. And if you are thinking of adopting a pet for your family, consider an animal from your local pound. Remember that all animals grow up, puppies, kittens etc. are always adopted, consider an older pet, they spend the longest time in the pound and need a loving family the most (in my opinion). And lastly, remember, pets are not disposable.

Thank you for listening.

Here is the Edmonton Humane Society webpage: www.edmontonhumanesociety.com
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Altenmeg, your compassion is phenomenal.
    As of right now, I wish I lived in Edmonton.
    I do hope your words are heard by someone who has the room in their home and heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by altenweg
    remember, pets are not disposable
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 10:36 AM
    I know, just recently there were news articles showing that many people who are foreclosed on in the US, leave their homes often with their pets left behind in them. I have had several renters though the years move out and leave their pets , it is so sad
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Altenmeg, your compassion is phenomenal.
    As of right now, I wish I lived in Edmonton.
    I do hope your words are heard by someone who has the room in their home and heart.

Thank you and I wish you lived in Edmonton too, but remember, there is probably an animal shelter near you if you are looking to add an animal companion to your life. Also, it's a well known fact that people with pets live longer and are happier.:) No pressure, just something to think about.;)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Altenweg I think this is a wonderful post. Does your t.v. stations have a segment that spotlights their shelter dogs? If not maybe you could contact a station and give them an idea for a show such as this. It is normally 5 or 10 minutes on the local news. Some stations let the animals sit with the broadcasters during the news programs. These shows have very good in getting help for the ASPCA.
    See if you can get a pic of Boots and put it up in the local pet store. A few of the petstores that don't sell dogs and cats will allow this. Maybe look into this. I really hope he gets adopted.
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Altenweg I think this is a wonderful post. Does your t.v. stations have a segment that spotlights their shelter dogs? If not maybe you could contact a station and give them an idea for a show such as this. It is normally 5 or 10 minutes on the local news. Some stations let the animals sit with the broadcasters during the news programs. These shows have very good in getting help for the ASPCA.
    See if you can get a pic of Boots and put it up in the local pet store. A few of the petstores that don't sell dogs and cats will allow this. Maybe look into this. I really hope he gets adopted.
    We actually do have a TV station that does this, unfortunately I don't think Boots has ever been featured, maybe because of his age and credentials. I did write to the SPCA yesterday and asked if there was anything that Boots needed that I could provide, they haven't written back yet. I'll keep you all posted.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Aww I wish I could rescue a dog but I don't have the time to commit or a house with a garden. Maybe one day...

I hope Boots finds a good home, poor wee mite.
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Thank you all for your compassion for Boots, I'm going to try and post a picture of hime, hope it works.

Name:  5226sm.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  2.0 KB
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Great post Altenweg

I really hope Boots finds a family soon.
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Feb 4, 2008, 09:23 PM
    I hear you, but also many people who would like to rescue a dog don't have the means to sustain it and give it a proper life. So in my opinion there are numerous people out there who would rescue an animal, but perhaps they're not the right person. I have a dog and if I ever had to put him up for adoption I sure wouldn't like him to end up somewhere his needs wouldn't be met. Or in a place in which he wouldn't be treated good.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 09:35 PM
    I've rescued and adopted two teenage cats who came to my front door wanting food. I found my soulmate at a local cat shelter (actually, he chose me). Our fourth cat came from my son's friend's litter of kittens. If I had a bigger house, I'd take in more. Alley Cat Allies and Best Friends work with local shelters on Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) programs, but many communities are still not convinced this system works for stray and feral cats.

I hope Boots finds a family who loves him.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Sorry I don't live in canada but I like dogs
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 05:01 AM
    I have done both . My recent spaniel I purchased from the pet store . My border collie/Aussie Shepard mix I got from a shelter . He has been a faithful family member for 10 years . Despite the monthly epilepsy about he has been a Godsend to our family.

Recommended reading... Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish

Amazon.com: Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish: Books: Mark R. Levin
    Pets Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by METERRE
    I hear you, but also many people who would like to rescue a dog don't have the means to sustain it and give it a proper life. So in my opinion there are numerous people out there who would rescue an animal, but perhaps they're not the right person. I have a dog and if i ever had to put him up for adoption i sure wouldn't like him to end up somewhere his needs wouldn't be met. Or in a place in which he wouldn't be treated good.
    Boots physical needs are being met, he has a warm cage, food and water, but there just aren't enough volunteers or staff at the shelter to meet his emotional needs, those can only be met by a family. I myself would adopt boots but because of his criteria I cannot. I have two dogs and two children 5 and 9 so they wouldn't even look at us as likely candidates. I think his age and his needs are both preventing him from finding his forever home. I posted this so that more people could be made aware of Boots and his plight and in the hopes that someone who was looking for a dog and met Boots criteria and lived in Edmonton, would see this and maybe consider Boots as a pet. It's a long wish list but you never know, it just might work. Thank you all for reading this and for your kind posts on Boots behalf, I hope he finds his home soon.:)
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 5, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Thanks for the book I will read it
    Pets Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 02:11 PM
    The Edmonton Humane society has finally finished updating it's site and this is what the have posted for Boots:

"SPECIAL PET IN NEED!

Handsome and Affectionate Canine Bachelor Awaits his Retirement Home!

Boots seeks a loving and patient adopter to tame his frightful heart. The perfect gentleman, Boots is strong, affectionate, and sweet. Even though he is considered a senior, he absolutely loves to run, chase, and return a ball (it's possible that you'll grow tired long before he does!). After an energizing game of fetch, Boots will be ready to lie at your feet and bask in the glory of being with you.

Although Boots tolerates other dogs at a distance, he's really not all that into the dog scene. A canine-free home would be ideal for this "set in his ways" guy. Boots would likely settle nicely into a home with older children, just remember to teach the kids proper dog handling manners.

Some stability, lots of love and a steady stream of milk bones should go a long way and before you know it, he'll build his trust in you and he'll no longer be a cowardly lion. He'll have c-c-courage!

WALLFLOWER: Shy yet charming canine searching for patient owner with relaxed lifestyle. Looking for gentle guidance to help me come out of my shell. Treat me sweet and kind and I'll blossom."
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Altenweg, that is extremely well written! With luck, he will be placed soon!

I adopted my current kitty from the streets (a while ago).
    She was abandoned at an area apartment complex and was existing by raiding garbage cans. She is tremendously loving and since having a solid home and living as an indoor cat (she is fixed) she is clean and healthy.
    At first she didn't have a "voice" and could barely gurgle out sounds but within a short time, she has found her stride and is quite comfy.
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Feb 6, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Actually my own dog has the same problem. He cannot be around other animals. When we moved into an apartment I was really thinking about giving him up for adoption but knowing his criteria, I thought it would be a hard thing to do. Especially find a home that not only meets the criteria but a home in which he will be treated will all the care I would give him. I wanted to give him something better than what I was able to do not get him into a worse situation. Never do I really want to give him up because I love him so much, but if I ever have to, in order for him to find a better home, then I'm up for it. Just that I know it won't be an easy thing.
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 02:27 PM
    The sad thing is that an older animal is always harder to place, not only because they are set in their ways but because most of their life has already been lived. Boots is 8 1/2 years old and he is a large breed which means he probably only has around 4 years of life left. I understand why people want puppies, you can mold them to your lifestyle and enjoy their entire life span with them. I just wish that this old gent could find his home, he deserves it. The good thing about the Edmonton Humane society is that they do not destroy healthy adoptable animals. Adoptable means, non-aggressive etc. Boots is healthy and adoptable so I don't think he will be euthanised, I just hope he doesn't have to live the remainder of his life in a cage. Thanks again for all your animal stories and for expressing your sympathy for Boots. My dream (if I ever win the lottery) is to buy 40 acres and open a no-kill animal shelter, Boots would be my first priority.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
    The Trixie Foundation :: Appalachia's Animal Protection Organization Alten You may be intrested in this site, this all began as a memorial to his dog Trixie. Kentucky has a really bad rep regarding their laws and treatment of animlas this man is slowly changing things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does your animals look like? [ 19 Answers ]

Hey guys I figured I would lighten up the place by asking all of you to put pics up of your dogs. I'm just curious to what kind of animals you all have. Hope to see some pics! http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/sarahbeth26/doodle010.jpg This is my Slider. He is a year old and was...

Farm animals. [ 11 Answers ]

What really did come first, the hen or the egg? And when its alive why do we call it a hen and when we eat it it's chichen?:confused: :D :eek: :rolleyes:

Birds and animals [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know if it's safe to paint around birds. (wall and ceiling painting.

Animals [ 1 Answers ]

What is an animal that starts with the letter "x"

Animals [ 2 Answers ]

My cat was diagnosed with a lung infection. Does litter box dust or litter box deodorizers cause this problem? She is also having some type of breathing attack. Her breathing is heavy and when she has these attacks she is gasping for breath. The vet prescribed CLAVAMOX. She is an older cat over...

View more questions Search