Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Aug 8, 2010, 01:52 AM
    JURY DUTY (I don't want to go! )
    Can you really get into trouble if you don't show:confused:
    It's on my birthday and I know as an American I should do my part blah! Blah!
    But do you think if I show up I won't even be needed and can go home?
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Aug 8, 2010, 02:34 AM

I feel the same way you do, but that's what we got to do. And yes you can get into trouble so just go and get it over with. There will be many many people there too. The odds are in your favor that you won't get picked so just go for it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    I know as an American I should do my part blah! blah!
    Hello nikki:

If you KNOW it's your duty, why are you blah, blahing it? Do you enjoy your freedoms?? Where do you think they come from? Do you think somebody ELSE is going to look out for YOUR freedoms, while you enjoy your birthday? Well, they won't.

excon
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:27 AM
    Yes,in the letter you get there is a comments section(there was on mine anyway)stating what the penalties for not showing.. you know, a bench warrant for failure to appear(even for just jury duty).. possible jail time for it, all those goodies the law can and might throw at you for not being a good citizen...

IF... on the other hand you have a medical reason you can not serve,, then you could get out of serving,, this time... (with a doctors note too! got to have proof of medical reasons and a paper trail)

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 07:36 AM

Go wearing one of those T shirts that say, they will take my gun when they take it from my cold dead hand, most likely they will not want to keep you.

But yes, unless properly excused, you will have go.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Make sure you mention that you can tell a guilty people.. just by looking at 'em.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 08:05 AM

Show up. So what if it's your birthday. Lots of people go to work on their birthday. Be sure to bring a book along to read. Chances are with you that you won't be picked for jury duty. And even if you are - hey - you could have a learning experience here seeing just how the justice system works.

If you have a felony conviction you won't be able to serve. If that is the case, send the court a letter with the case number of your conviction.

Aug 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
    Thanks unluckynut, KBC and twinkiedooter for answering my question in a civilized manner. NeedKarma and Fr_Chuck (your two are funny! :))

This my first time being summoned to jury duty and I just happen to notice it was on my birthday, it wasn't like I was putting my birthday above it, perhaps I have been watching too much television court drama because I have not heard any good about jury duty. I have no felony convictions either, so I'll go and fill out the online questionnaire and see what happens! Thanks again! Blah! Blah! Blah!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2010, 04:21 PM

First, the notice of jury service is actually a legal summons. You can incur the same penalties you would ignoring a subpoena.

However, jury duty calls have advanced greatly. Used to be you had to show up at the courthouse every day. Nowadays you call a number the night before, enter your info and they tell you whether you need to show up the next day.

Also, write them a letter noting that your birthday is within the summons period and ask if it can be postponed. Generally they give you one free, no questions asked postponement.

Did the notice include dates of serivce? I just got a juror questionnaire that is preliminary, no dates of service.

I have been called for jury duty 4-5 times and served on 3 juries. I enjoyed my experience. Sometimes this is a lot of dead time, but it can be very interesting.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
    Thanks unluckynut, KBC and twinkiedooter for answering my question in a civilized manner.
    Hello again, n:

I was civilized. You just didn't like what I had to say. Now, if you want to hear uncivilized, I can do that too.

excon

Aug 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, the notice of jury service is actually a legal summons. You can incur the same penalties you would ignoring a subpoena. However, jury duty calls have advanced greatly. Used to be you had to show up at the courthouse every day. Nowadays you call a number the night before, enter in your info and they tell you whether you need to show up the next day.Also, write them a letter noting that your birthday is within the summons period and ask if it can be postponed. Generally they give you one free, no questions asked postponement. Did the notice include dates of serivce? I just got a juror questionnaire that is preliminary, no dates of service. I have been called for jury duty 4-5 times and served on 3 juries. I enjoyed my experience. Sometimes this is a lot of dead time, but it can be very interesting.
    You've been called 4-5 times!! :eek: I thought everybody get's one summons and that's all, hmmm shows what I know!

Well look it here, is does say I am a Reserve Juror and I should call the day before! They do have a "change of date" phone number as well. I'll just do it and I might not even be called.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 05:06 PM

Just to add, when you do end up going, whether now or at a later time, take a good book with you and some cash... or a snack in your purse. You could possibly be sitting for quite awhile and will want to be able to purchase something to eat and drink during a break. Oh, and it can sometimes be chilly inside, so dress appropriately. Ok, end of my "mom" speech... :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2010, 05:19 PM
    You've been called 4-5 times!!!!:eek: I thought everybody get's one summons and that's all, hmmm shows what I know!!

Well look it here, is does say I am a Reserve Juror and I should call the day before!! They do have a "change of date" phone number as well. I'll just do it and I might not even be called.
    There is a limit on how frequently you can be required to serve. So, its very possible to be called several times in a lifetime.

Yes, I suspect if you call the Change of Date phone number and just tell them you would like to postpone they will do so, no questions asked. But that will usually only work once.

Aug 8, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Just to add, when you do end up going, whether now or at a later time, take a good book with you and some cash....or a snack in your purse. You could possibly be sitting for quite awhile and will want to be able to purchase something to eat and drink during a break. Oh, and it can sometimes be chilly inside, so dress appropriately. Ok, end of my "mom" speech....:)
    Thanks cyber mom! :) Your right those buildings can be a bit chilly inside, I didn't even think of that! So I'll be bringing a sweater and some money for snacks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jury Duty [ 17 Answers ]

I have researched various web sites about avoiding jury duty and many said that judges can be jerks when it comes to dismissing jurors even when they have a valid excuse such as loss of income of health reasons. Most sites said the best way to avoid it is to simply throw away your summons because...

Jury duty [ 2 Answers ]

Are you required to serve a second term on a jury if you have served in the past?

Jury Duty [ 5 Answers ]

I am breast feeding single mother, I work 3 days a week(freelancer). I have to work to provide for me and a baby, I pay babysitter when working. -How do I get out of Jury duty and be truthful?

Employer and Jury Duty [ 2 Answers ]

I was picked to serve on a jury that will require me to be away from work for approx 3 weeks. My employer pays 3 days of jury service. I have been making up some time by working a couple hours each day and on a Saturday but the remainder of the time that I am spending in jury duty my employer is...

Not reporting for jury duty [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter was summoned for jury duty in middle Georgia starting this Monday. She is moving to Texas and is currently in that state. How can she get excused?

View more questions Search