Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tirose6667 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Dec 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
    My parents won't teach me how to drive. What should I do? I'm 20.
    I got my first learning permit when I was sixteen. Since then, I've gotten my permit renewed twice because my parents never wanted to take me out driving. Now I'm 20 years old. My dad can't take me driving much because he is very busy with the business that he runs. Also, People are constantly coming over to his house he doesn't have time to leave. I ask my mom to take me, but she makes up excuses. If I keep asking her, she gets mad and tells me to go ask someone else. The only other person who can take me is my grandma, who I live with. My grandma is old and gets very nervous whenever I'm behind the wheel. I'm afraid I'll unintentionally give her a heart attack (and just to clear up any confusion, I'm really not that bad. She just is very uptight and nervous from old age)She also doesn't want me to drive on busy streets because it scares her, but that is what I would like to practice. I really need to learn how to drive because I have a job. My mom has been driving me to and from work everyday, but I wish I could be driving myself. How can I get someone to take me out driving? What should I do in this situation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
    Why does mom and dad have to do this, grow up you are 20. Have some friends do it. Go and take driving school from a professional company.

Dec 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
    My friends don't know how to drive. I did take driving school through a professional company. That is how I got my first permit when I was sixteen.

Dec 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
    Apparently, my parents shouldn't teach me how to drive, but I don't know who else it should be. As mentioned before, none of my friends have licenses. I could start saving to learn through a professional company but it might take a while to do that, as it normally costs hundreds of dollars.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 02:03 PM
    Do you have trouble learning, is there physical or mental issues in learning to drive.

If you went to a driver school, how come you did not get your drivers license then?

And what type of friends do you have, why don't they drive also.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 03:04 PM
    You're 20 years old. It's time to do things on your own - like taking driving lessons. Where I am you take lessons, get a permit, get a license. How does it work where you are?

So - save up and take more lessons.

OR ask your fiancé to take you - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ps-619360.html

Or doesn't he have a license?

Dec 17, 2011, 05:04 AM
    I took driving lessons. After the class ended, the instructor gave us learning permits and said we had to do the rest of the practice with our parents.
    In my state, you legally have to be 21 and have a driver's license in order to teach someone else how to drive.
    I know it might seem strange, but none of my friends have their licenses yet. A few of them can't get there licenses because they are from struggling families who don't want to pay the $25 fee for the permit. Another one of my friends is sick a lot and recently had surgery, so she isn't really focused on getting her license right now. Another one of my friends, who is nineteen, has never gotten a permit because he says he doesn't have a vehicle he can practice with.
    I know that taking lessons is an option, but it just seems silly to me that I pay hundreds of dollars, drain my savings account, and potentially not be able to make my payments for my online College as opposed to my parents taking an hour or so out of their day to teach me. To me, this doesn't make sense.

My grandparents always talk about how they taught my parents how to drive, and how it's a parent's job to prepare their kids for the world by teaching them to drive. So I guess it never occurred to me to try and find someone else to do it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 05:10 AM
    I don't think it's a good idea to ask a new driver to teach you how to drive or let you practice with them in the passenger seat. What about a friend's parent or a relative of yours who lives nearby? You need to be taught by and get experience with a driver who has been doing it for a while.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Do you really need to learn how to drive or just practice?

But your parents have no obligation to teach you. Also, if you think you are capable of passing a road test, you don't need to do anything more but schedule it.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
    - And what about your fiancé? It would seem that if you're engaged you would be standing on your own two feet and not expecting too much of your parents.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tirose6667 View Post
    My mom has been driving me to and from work everyday, but I wish I could be driving myself. How can I get someone to take me out driving? What should I do in this situation?
    So every day you're in the car with your mother to and from work. This is the perfect time to practice. Drive part or all of the way. You said she makes excuses when you ask her to help you - BUT SHE'S ALREADY DRIVING YOU TWICE A DAY. What am I missing here?

(There really isn't that much to driving - you point the car with the steering wheel, hit one pedal to go, and another pedal to stop).
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 04:52 PM
    I see the issue this poster to be honest must have a reason his parents will not do this, DID something happen in the past when you tried to drive?

Also you are so negative, nothing is OK, no one is going to help you and you don't see able to help yourself.
    So start taking the bus.

You are working, so go to driving school, If none of your friends drive, why, if you are 20, your friends are in their 20's, how come none of them drive ?

Do you live in a culture where people don't drive ?

Dec 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
    No, I do not live in a culture where people don't drive, however in my immediate culture (meaning family and friends) it is common. I don't know anyone my age that does drive. Yes, including my fiancé and his brother. Then again, I don't know many people. Off the top of my head, I have 4 friends.The friend I have who recently turned 21 does not have her license because she keeps having seizures, so the law does not allow her to drive until she has gone six months without a seizure.

Just because I do not know how to drive does not mean I am unable to "stand on my own two feet" so to speak.I do everything that I am able to on my own to be independent, which is why I pay for myself, go to school, work, buy my own groceries, and pay for my own gas money. I don't understand how an individual is considered less valuable or morally sound if they do not have a driver's license. My late grandmother on my mother's side chose to never learn how to drive. Yet, she was married, had children, and traveled when she wanted to. I don't feel that not having a license makes me less of a mature person. My fiancé and I do take the bus whenever we can, however having a driver's license would obviously be more convenient (hence this post).

Dec 21, 2011, 06:36 PM
    When I was a child, everyone else had to buy my food and clothes and take care of me because my parents were addicted to drugs and had no money. I never asked for much out of my parents. They didn't pay for the roof over my head, or for anything else for me. I honestly don't think going 20 years with only asking your parents to teach you how to drive is asking too much. I might be wrong here though.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
    You are 20 years old and engaged. Save some money and do this on your own. Your parents are who they are and are not likely to change. You are an adult, you don't need your parents for this.
    Where there is a will there is a way.
    Takes driving lessons and be done with it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
    I lived in a Chicago suburb with excellent public transportation and was also able to walk to many stores and other places I wanted to go to. Then we moved out to the western suburbs with little or no public transportation. I had to learn how to drive. I was 28. Had we continued to live in that other suburb with the good transportation, it is very likely I would never have learned to drive.

Can you get along without learning?
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Assuming you learn to drive, WHAT are you going to drive?

I don't think you're independent/standing on your own two feet if your mother drives you to work every day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage son lets 19 yr. Old friend drive parents car and the friend wrecks it. [ 5 Answers ]

The 19 yr. old is licensed and has his own insurance. He is at fault in the wreck. One of the passengers in the other vehicle conveniently discovers neck pain when the police arrive. How much liability will the parents insurance company have toward vehicle repair and who is responsible for the...

Is a baliff allowed on my parents drive to put a clamp on my car? [ 3 Answers ]

I disputed a parking fine because I had bought a ticket. No fine was on my screen and I did not know about it until a letter arrived almost a month after. I did not have the relevant ticket but there paperwork showed a ticket on my dashboard. I sent their form back and had a telephone...

Wwhat to do if you want to leave your parents and join another family withou parents [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do when I want to leave my family and join another at 16-years old?

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

View more questions Search