Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmJay Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 03:36 PM
    '72 Beetle, needs info
    So just picked up a '72 VW Beetle, that's been sitting for 'bout 10 years now. Engine's disassembled and in a box. The passenger rear drum is seized up and won't move, I pounded the crap out of the drum and still nothing. Did the beetle have a adjusting lock on the back, and any tips on how to go 'bout getting the drum off? Also are there any good web-sites that would help with rebuilding a beetle motor, or on beetles in general?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EmJay
    So just picked up a '72 VW Beetle, that's been sitting for 'bout 10 years now. Engine's disassembled and in a box. The passenger rear drum is seized up and won't move, I pounded the crap out of the drum and still nothing. Did the beetle have a adjusting lock on the back, and any tips on how to go 'bout getting the drum off? Also are there any good web-sites that would help with rebuilding a beetle motor, or on beetles in general?
    It's not about the self-adjusting brakes. It's about the braking material becoming adhered to the brake drum. Some of the things to try to free up this type of problem is to remove the drum assembly. Using coarse enough sandpaper or even find grinding disc, far better to remove any high spots. On the shoes or on the drums.

Oct 24, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    It's not about the self-adjusting brakes. It's about the braking material becoming adhered to the brake drum. Some of the things to try to free up this type of problem is to remove the drum assembly. Using coarse enough sandpaper or even find grinding disc, far better to remove any high spots. On the shoes or on the drums.
    I understand that the brake material is stuck to the drum, my problem is removing the drum. Any help?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Is it the drum stuck to the hub?
    Rust spray on the hub area and judicious hammer blows... typically from the inside toward the out side...
    Rotate the drum periodically while tapping. More spray... bang-bang.. spray.. etc...
    See where this is going? Just don't hit one spot too much or the drum can be distorted.

Nov 3, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Is it the drum stuck to the hub?
    Rust spray on the hub area and judicious hammer blows... typically from the inside toward the out side...
    Rotate the drum periodically while tapping. More spray... bang-bang.. spray.. etc...
    See where this is going? Just don't hit one spot too much or the drum can be distorted.
    No, I've removed the hub, removed the cottor-pin, and axle bolt holding the drum on. I've located the self-adjusting screw, just don't know which way to turn the screw to loosen it. Which way do I turn the screw? Drum still will not move any.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 3, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Have you tried any rust penatrant on the bonding surface? And judicious application of a hammer?

Nov 10, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Have you tried any rust penatrant on the bonding surface? And judicious application of a hammer??
    Thanks for the help. Took forever with many applications with the hammer, an usin' a sliding dent puller. What happened, the retaining spring holder caps were rusted so bad they just broke loose, allowing the springs and shoes to become loose, therefore jamming up the drum. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VW Beetle Knock Sensor 1 [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to locate the Knock Sensor 1 on my 2001 VW Beetle 1.8L AWV. The service manual shows it is on the left hand side of the Intake Manifold, but I don’t see it. The emissions test failed due to: On-Board Diagnostic Codes Read - 1 P0327 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input (Bank 1...

Jamaican Click Beetle [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing a project on the Jamaican Click Beetle for school and I have been having a difficult time researching this insect. I need to know: 1) It's habitat 2) What it eats 3) Life cycle 4) Enemies 5) Protection 6) How it moves 7) Special characteristics 8) It's appearance

I need info [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, I need Help!! OK my Mom is saying that my dad is not paying my mom not money for child support When I know he is and I don't know what to do Cause my Dad said that if he doesn't pay it he can get into a lot of Trouble So I need help cause I don't know what to do to help my Dad and...

View more questions Search