Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElleLo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
    How do I actually get a grant for College?
    I have been wanting to go to College, but kind of don't know who to ask or whatnot about this question. How do I get a grant for College?

I was told by a family friend that I could get one, being a female and been through the Foster Care agency. My adoptive parents are well off, but if I were to get a grant, it would be in a different state.

I don't know what websites, people, and answers about this. I would appreciate it, thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
    Grants are offered by colleges and universities. For instance, my son applied to three colleges, was accepted by all three, and then he contacted each financial aid office to wheel and deal with them about grants and in-house scholarships that he was able to apply for.

Scholarships, like grants, are not paid back; they're free. Colleges offer them, say, for creative writing or for sports. There are other scholarships offered by local clubs and organizations (Rotary, churches, etc.) and by national organizations (Mensa, Time, Ayn Rand Institute, American Library Association, etc.).

Your public library has a big book full of scholarship listings, how to apply, how much scholarship money is offered, due date, etc. And NEVER pay any web site or person any money for scholarship/grant information. It is all free for the asking.

Nov 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Thank you, Wondergirl. I appreciate your answer very much.

I understand. The only thing is, the family friend also told me that my parents job income could effect getting one. Although, I want to do online courses.

But! Thanks so much.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleLo View Post
    Thank you, Wondergirl. I appreciate your answer very much.
    You're very welcome.
    I understand. The only thing is, the family friend also told me that my parents job income could effect getting one. Although, I want to do online courses.
    Would you be doing online coursework exclusively, or would you also attend a bricks-and-mortar school for some of the classes? May I ask which school(s) interest you?

You'd have to, like I had written, wheel and deal with the financial aid office about a grant, especially regarding your parents' financial situation. You or they would probably first have to fill out a government application called a FAFSA. Do you know about the FAFSA? And if the school really wants you, that will help a lot as they decide how much grant money to award you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
    First grants are not going to nearly cover cost of the entire college. And yes some of the grants and many of the student loans will be effected by your parents income.

For almost all of them you will need information off their income tax filings for the last few years

Nov 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
    I did know they do not cover the whole college. I am fine with that, but I want to leave my parents and live in a different state.

I have not a clue what FAFSA is, I think I saw a website on it, but I do not trust websites for this because I do not know what to really look for.

I want to go to college in Tacoma, Washington.

By the way, Wondergirl, I am really new to this site... how are you quoting me?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleLo View Post
    I did know they do not cover the whole college. I am fine with that, but I want to leave my parents and live in a different state.
    I lived at home in NYS and was accepted by and attended a college near Chicago. Are your parents against your leaving home?
    I have not a clue what FAFSA is, I think I saw a website on it, but I do not trust websites for this because I do not know what to really look for.
    It's a form required by the federal government to be filled out and submitted by a certain date if you want to apply for grants and financial aid of any kind. If you are under 26, I think it is, your parents must fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
    I want to go to college in Tacoma, Washington.
    Have you picked out a college?
    By the way, Wondergirl, I am really new to this site... how are you quoting me?
    There are two "skins" -- one called GO (you are on that one) and one called Light (I am on that one). I can quote on Light; GO has no ability to do that. If you want to know how to switch over, let me know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Here is the website for the FAFSA. I just filled it out last night for my daughter who will be going to college in the fall.

Professional help filing the FAFSA - Federal Student Financial Aid Application

Most colleges require filling this out by the end of January. This will help with grants such as the Pell Grant, as well as work study programs that you can get paid for.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 09:52 PM
    About an hour after you posted this grant question, you posted another, totally different question:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ed-612836.html

What gives?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    About an hour after you posted this grant question, you posted another, totally different question:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ed-612836.html

What gives?
    I don't understand your questioning WG. They are two totally and separate questions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I don't understand your questioning WG. They are two totally and separate questions.
    Yes, I said that but am curious about the two subjects broached. Seems like one situation might cancel out the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get a grant for barber college [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a grant for barber college?

Grant Money for College [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find grant or scholarship money for my son to pay for college. He is a felon on parole and I don't know where to look for such assistance

How to get a grant for college [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to go to school online for insurance agent. But my finances won't let me, not only that I'm getting older and I need to find something easier to do than what I do now.

Is grant money available for barber college? [ 1 Answers ]

Im looking for money to pay for barber college. I want a grant because it would be great not to have to repay. Is there any help out there?

View more questions Search