Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edcar4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Physics 1100
    A rifle at a height H aimed horizontally fires a bullet to the ground. At the same time , a bullet with the same mass in dropped from the same height. Neglecting air resistance, which one hits the ground first?Explain.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
    edcar4: which one do you think hits the ground first? Here's a hint: for the bullet fired horizontally it's initial vertical velocity (toward the ground) is 0, just like the bullet which is dropped from the same height. Post back with your answer and we'll check it for you.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 01:57 AM
    Unless the riffle is really special, there is only one answer. If you can get that answer, I'll explain why I mentioned that the riffle shouldn't be special ;)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 06:03 AM
    I don''t know what the special rifle is. But you might enjoy this clip from "Myth Buster's" where they actually did the experiment to prove that the classic physics answer to this question is correct:
    MythBusters Bullet Fired Dropped - YouTube

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL-1100 [ 3 Answers ]

My unit will run one heating cycle, achieve the desired temp and kick off. When the thermostat calls for the next cycle it will fire up and blow heat for maybe one minute or not at all! I will then have to turn off the thermostat several times and back to heat to make it come on. I replaced the...

Sued for $1100? Really? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am in Arizona and I was served with court papers from JK Law Office, apparently they purchased this debt. Anyway, it is for like $1100! Seems to me that it would cost them more to go after it then it would benefit them. I may have missed the deadline to respond and I do not have the...

Hoover Performa 1100 [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine has started making a racket when the spinner starts increasing it's speed during the rinse. It sounds like there is a heavy metallic bolt spinning around inside. Any idea what this might be?

View more questions Search