Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    american worker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 06:17 AM
    401Ks
    My question is if you have a company wide 401k and in the beginning they matched 50 cents on the dollar then switched it to dollar for dollar but never told some of the employees must they honor it and give it to all employees under the Company wide 401k policy
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Hello worker:

I wouldn't think so. As long as the company kept their agreement with YOU, any OTHER agreement they may have with other employees doesn't really have anything to do with you...

Unless you can find a memo or something that states the higher match would be "company wide".

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by american worker View Post
    My question is if you have a company wide 401k and in the beginning they matched 50 cents on the dollar then switched it to dollar for dollar but never told some of the employees must they honor it and give it to all employees under the Company wide 401k policy

It's their agreement with you that matters, not their agreement with anyone else.

(Please only post your question once.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2009, 07:10 AM

I believe that 401K provisions have to be applied equally to all employees. Also, any changes to the plan MUST be communicated to all participants and employees.

Anything else would be a violation of ERISA and the tax regs.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I believe that 401K provisions have to be applied equally to all employees. Also, any changes to the plan MUST be communicated to all participants and employees.

Anything else would be a violation of ERISA and the tax regs.

This will have to be researched - I believe that employers can have different arrangements with different employees at different times, particularly if there are employment contracts involved. The fact that one is hired with, say, 25% contribution doesn't mean that three years later that can't be changed to 50% for new employees.

Off to see if I can find something.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2009, 07:21 AM

Plan provisions can be different for differnent classes of employee. For example an employee with 5 years of service may get a different match. If there are union contracts, these usually mean separate plans.

But all employees still need to be treated equally under the terms of the plan. The company can't arbitraily treat some employees differently. If different treatements are given they have to be codified in the plan provisions.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Plan provisions can be different for differnent classes of employee. For example an employee with 5 years of service may get a different match. If there are union contracts, these usually mean separate plans.

But all employees still need to be treated equally under the terms of the plan. The company can't arbitraily treat some employees differently. If different treatements are given they have to be codified in the plan provisions.

OK - I believe you. Makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I see a trend here about 401ks [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone notice it? Look how many posts are about people wanting to take money from their retirement years account! (for one of many reasons) :confused: :eek: Why? Is living in America that expensive that everyone is broke? Or is it something else.. People overspending, over...

View more questions Search