Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bennettlangton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2014, 10:40 PM
    Fixing OLD double-hung wooden windows
    With many old wooden double-hung windows, the bottom sash can be removed by first removing the wooden stop/molding along the left or right side, then the sash pulls out, held only in place then by the chain (or cord), attached to the weight (unless this is already broken).

HOWEVER, some old windows have a zinc/galvanized "track" attached to the sides of the window frame, along which track the lower sash glides up and down.
    (via a groove in the side of the sash)..

HOW does one remove the window in this case ? (Without destroying the window and/or track).
    The nails that hold the track seem to at all times be covered by the sash itself..

Has anyone come across this type of problem? I know that most old windows do not have these metal tracks on the sides...

Thanks,
    Bennett
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 1, 2015, 07:33 AM
    Show pictures.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2015, 10:59 AM
    Remove wooden stop on one side of window frame. You will see that the metal track only goes up behind sash a few inches. Starting at sill, use a small pry bar to remove track and nails. With sash in top most position you should be able to reach all nails. Then sash and track can come out together.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a cure for sticky double hung windows [ 5 Answers ]

Three years ago I installed Andersen 400 Series Windows. Most of them slide up and down beautifully but a couple of them are a little tough for my wife. After recently painting them, I sanded the edges to make sure that wasn't an issue. Can you think of anything I can use, like wax for example,...

I have new vylon double hung window and have frost on inside middle [ 1 Answers ]

I have new vylon double hung windows and I have frost on top shash by hooks

Fixing a double hung window [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small (3 feet wide) double hung window in a bedroom. When I open the bottom, where the screen is, the top falls down a little bit and there is no screen there! How do I prevent the top from falling open? Thanks for the help!

New Windows (Alliance? Double Hung) [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had my home built in a rural area (very open to the wind). During winter months (this is the 2nd winter in the home) most of my windows will get a little moisture on the glass, just above where I lock/unlock the windows to open. My problem is the 3 windows on the Northwest side of my...

Vinyl Double Hung Windows don't LOCK [ 1 Answers ]

All, So I just bought a condo, it has vinyl double hung windows. Bad part is that they don't lock. I push the top window as far as possible, and the lower one down as much as it can go, but I am still 1/2 inch off from the latch being able to lock. How can I correct this ? Is it expensive...

View more questions Search