Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shane500 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Something I heard at work today and was wondering about.
    Me and my girlfriend are getting engaged here soon... less than a month. Well I was telling a coworker tonight about this and she said that Marriage is just when the woman wants security and that's all. Now I disagree with this statement and note that the woman that said this doesn't want to get married. I just wanted to see what people thought about this statement.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 09:00 PM

Your coworker is not correct about that. Sorry. I disagree. Women want a lot more than just security when they get married, a lot more.
    jennifer1010 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Dec 13, 2008, 09:06 PM

I disagree with your co-worker. There's a lot more that woman want from marriage than security.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
    What about love, sharing, family...
    Addison08 Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Dec 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
    I disagree with what your co-worker said to you. Women want a lot more then security. It's about having someone to share their life, grow old with, have kids with, and so much more. Marriage isn't just a security factor.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 11:30 PM

Your co worker is just saying that because that is all marriage means to her. Ignore things like that and enjoy a great marriage.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 11:54 PM

Hi, Shane500!

People can have any number of reasons for getting married, most will hopefully be good and some might be bad. Nonetheless however, the reasons are all personal and will vary greatly depending on the situation for the couple. What I'm saying is that the reasons are based upon personal preferences and opinions and that there's no cut-and-dried answer that's correct.

It sounds to me that if your co-worker is being so vocal in her opinion as to why a woman would get married and saying it directly to you, is rather rude and also shows that she lacks an understanding of the many reasons that people might get married and also probably has some insecurity issues with herself.

If I were you, I would just blow off the comment and not waste any time with her about it.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Thanks!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Your co-worker is way off base!

Marriage does not guaranty security. It does the very opposite.

Security ( I rather like the word comfort in place of security) grows as time goes by. Its made up (in part) of a great amount of trust that is shared by the two of you.

Marriage at its very beginning is very chaotic, or at least it was for us. It took at least four years of learning on both our parts before we could live together in relative peace. Just learning how each other thinks and feels (Feelings: BOY, THAT WAS A TOUGH CLASS FOR ME!) I had no idea feelings were real, and that went beyond the NY Football Giants anyway. Can you imagine, my wife had her own thoughts, feelings, beliefs and system? I had no idea that she could function by doing things her way!

On the very plus side, as you grow together, marriage is very comfort laden.

I can not imagine my life or world without my lady in it with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wondering if this can work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been seeing a girl on and off for about three months. Currently we are talking and friendly but not sleeping with each other. We broke it off mutually because she didn't want to get into a serious relationship and I didn't want to push her.( Even though I really do want it) She had just...

View more questions Search