Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PontiacFire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 09:30 AM
    HIPPA or Privacy Act violation ?
    My Girlfriend works as a Medical Assistant and she uses her office doctors and interns as her primary care provider. A co worker that works in medical billing and records, has told friends of ours about her medical history and office visits concerning her and her family( son ) These friends called us and advised us what they were told. This information was given out at the co workers home during the Super Bowl party they were hosting in a house full of people. We were not invited nor in attendance at this gathering. My girlfriend does not know what to do at this time, as she does not want to cause office problems or lose her job for starting problems in the workplace. Thank you in advance for your attention with this matter.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 10:22 AM

If she does not report, she won't be working for the good of HIPPA; in place to keep private matters private, but the problem is, she is a medical assistant to her own doctor, right ? I can see why she doesn't want to jeopardize anything. Tough call.

If you want me to say she should report it, then of course, as a healtchare provided myself I would want her to.

Maybe this would be a good time to change jobs and doctors. It is actually a conflict of interest problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
    First this is a very clear violation of HIPAA. The co worker accessed records she was not entitled to and, making matters worse, revealed them to unauthorized people.

I would have a private talk with the Office Manager. From what you are saying this appears to be a large practice, so there is probably someone in charge of the office staff.

Explain to this person, that she doesn't want to make waves, but that if the co-worker did this to her, she may have done it with others or may do it again. If a HIPAA violation complaint is lodged, the practice could be subject to large fines.

Suggest, to the Manager that, at the very least, this co-worker needs to be retrained about HIPAA or read the riot act about what she did.

If your girlfriend approaches it that way, in other words for the good of the practice, rather than a personal complaint, I believe she will come out of it unscathed. And her discretion will be appreciated.

BTW, if I understood you, she used members of the practice for her physcian, but not the specific doctor she works for. That would be OK, but the physiciam she woprks for should not be her physician.. It would, probably be better if she switched physicans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA Privacy act [ 5 Answers ]

What are the 12 circumstances that personal health information can be used for purposes unrelated to health care?

Is this a Violation of Hippa or my right to privacy [ 10 Answers ]

I am a respected healthcare professional. I visit patients in their homes 40 hours per week and have been doing so for years. I am therefore acquainted with a very large number of people in the community. Recently I went to a clinic to be evaluated for Health Care. I was told that the Dr. (Surgeon)...

Hippa privacy law [ 2 Answers ]

A worker had gotten my release for mental and revealed some information that was in my records to my husband and is threatening to divorce me over it so can some one help me figure out about my rights

Violation of privacy [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord and I have an agreement that he will not walk people through my home. I have found out on two occasions that a realator brought people by but because I was there they could not enter. I will never give permission for someone to walk through my home with my belongings there. I work...

View more questions Search