Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lildarkraven Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Immigrating to the US from Canada

Hi there, I have a question concerning immigration to the US from Canada. I currently live in British Columbia, Canada and my fiancé lives and works in Ohio. I am planning on moving there this fall and I am unsure of the best route to take. I know there are a few options like via marriage or a job but I just want to know what is the simplest way to move to Ohio to live and to also be able to work there.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thank you so much
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Well, going through this myself, I can tell you that if you show up at the border and tell US customs you are coming to live in the US and apply for a citizenship they will turn you away, I almost got sent home. He has to file your immigration papers before you move there as a sponsored family member (spouse).

Once these papers are accepted you will get a green card and the right to work. Unlike Canada they do not allow a married spouse into the country who has not yet applied for a legal status.

Of course you can always go in as a visitor and file while your there, but you can't declare that this is your intention... isn't government great

Apr 30, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply although I am still a little confused. We did not plan on marrying before I moved there, so then how does that work? Or would it be best to be married before we start this process? Is it better to go the sponsored family member route versus finding a job there and immigrating that way?
    I have a sister who married a man from the US and they live in California. Is there any way that I can be sponsored by her as well?
    I am also unclear of your comment of entering as a visitor and then filing... could you possible explain this further.

Thank you so much
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Sure, if you go to the border and try to enter the US without a legal status and declare that you do not intend to ever move back to Canada they will refuse your entry.

Yes your sister should be able to sponsor you to move there though, and if you could get a US company to hire you then you could enter as a worker.

Your boyfriend cannot sponsor you to come to the US, you would have to be married and then file the application before you leave Canada. But you can enter the US as a visitor, say your going back whenever and then get married and file once your in the US. It's not the best way as you wouldn't have the right to work until the papers get approved though.

May 3, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Hmmmmm, well thank you for your insight... I have heard of a fiance/fiancee visa... how would that apply in our situation?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What's is another name for Canada's legislure?

Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I was thinking about going to Canada for the weekend for my birthday in Feb., I live in Rochester, NY. I was told that you can enter Canada with a I.D., But in order to come back home into the U.S. I need a passport, is this true???? Please help me!!??!! Thanks so much! :)

Canada [ 1 Answers ]

What two bodies are the canada's legislature divided into

Going to Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Did that go into effect to need a passport to go to Canada this year? We want to go up this summer?

View more questions Search