Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwm1978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2012, 10:06 PM
    Need a proper word for this definition
    What do you call it when someone does not accept what they see as the truth because they are in shock? Even though there is evidence, such as seeing a UFO or satan appears to them. Basically they have a hard time accepting reality? What is the right word
    Clemintine Posts: 105, Reputation: 30

Aug 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
    Denial?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 1, 2012, 02:42 AM
    Denial is a good word, but if someone told me I was in denial for refusing to accept the 'reality' of Satan or a UFO, and I've never believed either of those are real, then I am not in denial. I'm realistic, and the person expecting me to believe is in a denial of his own.
    jwm1978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 10:09 AM
    I finally found it. It is abnegation
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 1, 2012, 10:45 AM
    For the instance you gave, abnegation isn't the right word. Abnegation is used when the denial involves some sort of self-sacrifice or renouncement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper alphabetization of a proper name [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to file this proper name? Beatrice de Clermont Tonnerre

Outlook Attached word document opens after 30 seconds if you have word open [ 0 Answers ]

We have a weird issue on our XenApp 6 test environment using Outlook 2007 to open Word attachments. The behaviour is such that if a Word instance is already open and maximised with a document and we try to open a Word attachment from an e-mail, the attachment doesn't open unless you un-maximise the...

Proper English using the word "your" [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper way to state the following sentence and why? Is it correct to say "Your not my type" or should it be "Your'e not my type" or can both be used?

View more questions Search