Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JasminH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2014, 12:39 PM
    Quitting during/at end of probationary period
    Hello,

I have a questions regarding ending a job during or at the end of the probationary period.

I am almost at the end of my probation time and know that I did not pass it successfully. What's kind of all right since this job is very boring for me anyway.
    Now my actual question:
    If the employer (and kind of me) come to the agreement that it's just not a good fit, will I get that in writing? Does the employer HAS to give me something in writing and clearly stating why I was not a good fit?
    Oh, btw; I'm from Canada (Ontario)

Thanks in advance.

J
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2014, 02:12 PM
    I don't know for sure if there are unusual employment laws in Ontario, but in general, no. The employer would not have to indicate in writing why the employer has decided that you are not suitable for the job.

This answer might be different if you have a union or government job, or otherwise have terms of employment requiring your employer to come up with a written reason.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2014, 02:47 PM
    Do you have time to submit a proper resignation (say two weeks or whatever is normal notice for your position)?
    if you simply resign with no new job to go to, you can expect your next employer to want you to explain the gap in employment history.
    Even better, find another job and resign to go to work elsewhere. But I realize that might be easier said than done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice period for quitting the job [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am hired by my company directly without any contract, and my offer letter says that Employment is at will. I am about to quit my job, I asked my fellow colleagues about how to resign (as this is my first job) and what should be the notice period. All of them said that you can leave any...

If I take maternity leave during probation,my probationary period will be extended or [ 1 Answers ]

I am working as a central govt staff.If I take maternity leave during probation,my probationary period will be extended or not?

Why would you stop having a period after quitting depo so soon? [ 4 Answers ]

I started depo in June 2010. From June to August I didn't have a period or bleed at all. I received my second shot at the end of August. The following week in September I started spotting... I spotted until December 16. My third shot was due November 12-26. I decided not to take it, because I...

Probationary period change [ 3 Answers ]

My wife has been working for a company for 9 months. As stated in her letter of offering, she agreed to a probationary period of 6 months, during which time she would not be able to take any time off from accrued vacation units. Also, the letter states that her performance would be evaluated at the...

Probationary period [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what's to be done at the approaching of a probationary period. Should a form or a letter be sent to the supervisor? Any examples please. Thank you

View more questions Search