Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alicialawerence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 06:11 AM
    How does one get ful custody of child when one of the parent is living in another cou
    I want full cutody of my daughter in jamaica and her father lives in england
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Then file something in Jamaica.

But you also should ask for child support. As I recall there is an international convention for collection of CS, but it might be easier to just file for CS in the UK.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2011, 08:53 AM
    So I assume you AND the child are in Jamaica. If so you file with the Jamaican family courts.

Why do you want full custody? If the father lives in the UK, what does full custody get you?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... If the father lives in the UK, what does full custody get you?
    Yes, I forgot to ask that. Essentially you have full custody now. Is there any realistic chance that the father is going to come and ask to see the child? If not, why bother?
    mercedes430 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Yes I agree with the two^.. its not really necessary for you to have full custody of the child when the father is all the way in the UK.

Unless you know that there is a chance he will come to jamaica? Then you should get full custody of her because he can come at anytime and take her and there's nothing that you can do about it because he is the father.

Idk how it works in jamiaca or the law but in america if you want full custody of you child.. you have to tell the court the reason why you think you need to have full custody.

What ever the problem is make sure you take care of it soon because my friends husband once took her kids from school and she couldn't do anything she went to the authorities and they turned her down because he's their father and it don't count as kidnap. After 3 years she found the elementary school that they were attending and got them back and got full custody.

What ever you situation is I wish you good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mercedes430 View Post
    Then you should get full custody of her because he can come at anytime and take her and there's nothing that you can do about it because he is the father.
    This is not necessarily accurate. We don't know if the father is listed as the legal father. We don't know if the mother has been awarded primary custody. There is too much we don't know to make a statement like that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mercedes430 View Post
    Yes I agree with the two^..its not really necessary for you to have full custody of the child when the father is all the way in the UK.

Unless you know that there is a chance he will come to jamaica? Then you should get full custody of her because he can come at anytime and take her and there's nothing that you can do about it because he is the father.

Idk how it works in jamiaca or the law but in america if you want full custody of you child..you have to tell the court the reason why you think you need to have full custody.

What ever the problem is make sure you take care of it soon because my friends husband once took her kids from school and she couldn't do anything she went to the authorities and they turned her down because he's their father and it don't count as kidnap. After 3 years she found the elementary school that they were attending and got them back and got full custody.

What ever you situation is I wish you good luck

Please don't guess or speculate when you're answering questions on the legal board. Bad advice could potentially cause BIG problems with the person asking the question.

How it "works" in the US/America doesn't matter because that's not what the OP is asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child is not living with custodial parent? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Illinois my son is 18 but still in High School and custodial parent kicked him out so know he is living with me and I am still paying child support

Can a parent who has neglected a child get custody from the other parent [ 2 Answers ]

My 8 year old sister was abandoned by her mother at the age of 4 and my step father is taking care of her. Would my mother be able to take custody of her? Even though she is on drugs and unfit?

Child not living with custodial parent but still collecting child support [ 1 Answers ]

Child is suppose to live mother but for over 12 months child has been living with grandpaernts but mother is collecting child support still. Is that against the law

Child support and arrears but child will be living with non-parent while in college [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non-custodial parent living in Atlanta, GA paying my court appointed child support plus arrears. This year my daughter will be 18 and will be living with me (coming from Sterling, VA) while going to college. Is there a way to negotiate the arrears amount or settle out on an agreed amount...

View more questions Search